FORUMS: list search recent posts

DVD9 on DVD SP3

COW Forums : DVD Authoring

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
george
DVD9 on DVD SP3
on Jun 21, 2005 at 5:34:57 pm

I am working for a client who has asked for the option of burning to DVD-9, or Dual Layered DVD. I work on a MAC G5 with DVD Studio Pro 3, and am wondering if I will be able to burn to DVD-9 from this. I realize that it will require an additional burner that can handle the dual layers, but I want to know if my software can handle it.

Along the same lines.....its seems that DVD+9 dual layer are much more common as available media than DVD-9 dual layer. Does anyone know if this will at all affect the output quality when its sent for duplication? And how?

Thanks for ALL your help.

George

Return to posts index

Jack Pitzer
Re: DVD9 on DVD SP3
on Jun 21, 2005 at 6:15:29 pm

Just a word of warning...DVD+9s that you burn may have a hard time being viewed elsewhere. I've read here on Creative Cow that a study was done that shows 77% of players out there have trouble playing DVD+9s

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
on Jun 21, 2005 at 6:25:19 pm

[george] "its seems that DVD+9 dual layer are much more common as available media than DVD-9 dual layer."

Unless things have changed quite recently, the only disks available are DVD+9.

Return to posts index

george
on Jun 21, 2005 at 6:57:16 pm

I have a vendor for new Verbatim DVD-R dual layer discs, So I'm not too worried about the media. I am going to be sending this master out to a duplication facility, and I would imagine that they can handle either DVD-r or DVD+9.

The real question is whether or not DVDSP3 will author to a DVD9 at all. Or is this a feature only available from DVDSP4?

Return to posts index

Bill Stephan
on Jun 21, 2005 at 7:36:09 pm

Yes it will.

Bill Stephan
Senior Editor/DVD Author
USA Studios
New York City

Return to posts index

eric
by
on Jun 21, 2005 at 7:50:28 pm

George

How many discs are you going to duplicate? If its alot ,get them replicated instead

Return to posts index

george
on Jun 21, 2005 at 8:32:09 pm

Thanks to All Y'all for your help. I think once I get a count on how many they need, I'll pick between duplication and replication.

Thanks!

Return to posts index

WTS(JManz)
on Jun 21, 2005 at 8:24:17 pm

Not to be too nit-picky, but the terminology used to discuss the newer extra-capacity recordable dvd's can be confusing. DVD-9 is technically reserved for describing DUAL LAYER, replicated discs. DVD-5 and DVD-9 (although reserved for replicated discs) has generally morphed into meaning the capacity in general of a disc, whether is replicated, or recordable (and "-" or "+"). The first one out of the blocks for two layers on a single side was the "+" format. DL DVD+R stands for DOUBLE LAYER (although sites offering the media will also call it DUAL LAYER)--which I think is confusing by itself, because you can get DOUBLE SIDED discs (but that's another topic). DL DVD-R (Double layer/Dual layer DVD-R) have more recently become available. It's the only one 'sanctioned' by the DVD Forum.

The 'early' reports of poor set top acceptability of the + format DL discs is IMO not a fault of the disc, but a fault in the way the user created the disc. The DL recordables I've made have been every bit as compatible as any single layer media I've used or use. The reference is often made from a single article by Ralph LaBarge in DV magazine I believe in Feb or Mar of this year--and the article was actually written in Dec. I believe the software used to create the DL discs at the time was Nero--which back then incorrectly set the layer break (later found and recognized). The article really was about comparing three different dual layer burners, but as an aside a couple of discs per burner were tested. R. LaBarge also ended the article suggesting that one really shouldn't shy away from the burners because of the initial results, because so much can change in a short time span. Certainly, Ralph could jump in and add comments if I've incorrectly paraphrased the content of the article.

DVDSP3 can compile and produce projects for DL recordable output--I've made several of them.

Jim

Return to posts index

Borjis
DL-R Printable media
on Jun 21, 2005 at 8:29:29 pm

Looks like Ritek/Ridata DL+R printable media is out.

anyone know when the DL-R printable media will be out?

Return to posts index

WTS(JManz)
Re: DL-R Printable media
on Jun 21, 2005 at 8:35:43 pm

I would avoid Ritek DL for now, I've heard of a lot of complaints with that brand. Verbatim has had a good track record with +DL (the -DL is too new to know how it's performing), and printable versions of the +DL variety are available now. I don't know how long it will take for printable versions of -DL to hit the markets, but it was several months for the +DL.

Jim

Return to posts index

george
on Jun 21, 2005 at 8:46:52 pm

It seems that Verbatim has released an 8.5 GB DL DVD-R.

Return to posts index

WTS(JManz)
on Jun 21, 2005 at 8:55:07 pm

Verbatim has had a recordable DL DVD-R out for about a month, but I haven't seen any versions of the same that are printable. If you have a link where one can buy a printable version for the DL DVD-R I'd be interested.

Jim

Return to posts index

george
on Jun 21, 2005 at 8:58:43 pm

http://www.tapeandmedia.com/dvd_r_double_layer_dual_disc_verbatim.asp

This is only for DVD-R DL discs in jewel cases. But the same vendor claims, by phone, to be expecting printable discs "any time now". Of course they were no more specific than that.

Return to posts index

WTS(JManz)
on Jun 21, 2005 at 9:04:27 pm

It looks to me that they are offering the same non-printable versions I've seen elsewhere, although the price is a bit better. When the +DL discs came out last year, it took about 6 months or more for the printable versions to arrive (although they were 'coming soon' for some time before that). Maybe they will be quicker to arrive than their +DL counterparts.

Jim

Return to posts index

george
on Jun 21, 2005 at 8:47:38 pm

Jim (Doc)

Thank you for your knowledge. Learning is what the COW is all about, and I am learning from you. Thanks.

George

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]