FORUMS: list search recent posts

mid-level authoring software for Macintosh?

COW Forums : DVD Authoring

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Peter DiFalco
mid-level authoring software for Macintosh?
on Jun 16, 2005 at 8:04:57 pm

Hey folks,

Here's an area where the Mac evangelists can step up: is there an authoring software on Mac whose complexity and features lie somewhere between iDVD and DVD Studio Pro? I'm trying to set up some self-service authoring stations for computer and video-editing savvy students, but what iDVD provides is not adequate - we want to be able to turn off menus and still have chapters! Unfortunately, requiring students and our technicians to be DVD Studio Pro proficient on the other end isn't feasible -- that's too deep.

Suggestions?

thanks,

Peter DiFalco
Technical Supervisor
Academy of Art University

Return to posts index

Devin Crane
Re: mid-level authoring software for Macintosh?
on Jun 16, 2005 at 9:51:34 pm

In DVDSP there is an option to have your layout much like IDVD under WINDOW-CONFIGURATIONS-BASIC or just hit F1. This will layout DVD Studio Pro in an easier format. As of other DVD authoring utilities, there are not many companies that want to contend with Apple. That's why Adobe no longer supports Premier for Mac.

Return to posts index

eric
by
on Jun 17, 2005 at 12:37:49 am

Studio Pro is a very easy program is use - Its design is built for for people like yourself and students. I dont think any video-savy student would have any problem with DVDSP.

Return to posts index

Peter DiFalco
on Jun 17, 2005 at 3:29:57 pm

I am familiar with DSP and have authored projects with it, which is why I'm concerned that the depth and breadth of the program are going to present many more ways to create a coaster than a solid DVD to someone who's never seen the program before and is trying to operate it in a relatively unsupervised environment.

Thanks for the reponses -- I'm going to mess around with scripting and DSP and see if I can't automate a few things to make it easier.

it's either that or get a PC.

Peter DiFalco
Technical Supervisor
Academy of Art University

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
on Jun 17, 2005 at 5:05:17 pm

DVDSP 2 and up are easily set in a basic mode that gives more power than iDVD while remaining about as hard to use. Students are there to learn, aren't they?

Noah

Return to posts index

Peter DiFalco
on Jun 17, 2005 at 7:35:13 pm

hmm... it sounds like an upgrade might be worth looking into to be able to modify the interface's options. I'll give it a try. Our editing students are here to learn to be storytellers, not DVD authors, though; so while they learn plenty of tape duping and digitizing, we don't as yet have an authoring class nor much experience with it.

Thanks for your input.

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
on Jun 17, 2005 at 7:38:05 pm

Definitely- if you're below 2.0 this is a completely different program- night and day.

Noah

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]