FORUMS: list search recent posts

DVD Pressing vs. DVD-R duping

COW Forums : DVD Authoring

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Daniel5000
DVD Pressing vs. DVD-R duping
on Jun 16, 2005 at 7:49:20 pm

Hello all
Does anyone feel that DVD-R duping (the process of using a DLT or DVD authoring grad media and burning copies to DVD-R Media) is just as advantageous than the process of pressing a DVD (gold master disk created from DLT and having the DVD media pressed?

I was under the impression that pressing was superior in terms of compatibility. However I was very curious about doing DVD-R runs as the production time was a bit shorter and it was something I could do in house. My impression after reading some posts is that DVD-R media can be just as compatible or slightly less so than the pressing method if a high quality media is used.

Is the pressing method more advantages if I was doing very large media runs, like about 2000?

Any thoughts?

Sincerely
Daniel

Return to posts index

Jason Casey
Re: DVD Pressing vs. DVD-R duping
on Jun 16, 2005 at 9:24:21 pm

If you're doing runs of 2000 you should definately go with Replication..or pressing as you call it. Usually anything over 1000 or so you should always go with replication if you can. DVD-R's are a lot more compatable than they used to be so duplication is still a very good option if you're doing a lower quantity of discs. You will still occasionally get a few discs here and there that people won't be able to play but there isn't much you can do about that. Most replication houses won't even touch an order under 500, and if they do...you will pay a LOT more for it.

Return to posts index

Borjis
on Jun 16, 2005 at 9:55:10 pm

agreed to what jason said.

it's my opinion that the newer dvd players themselves
have been made better at reading DVD recordable, that has
made things more compatible rather than the recordable media
itself. It could very well be both. :)

Return to posts index

Daniel5000
on Jun 17, 2005 at 5:21:50 pm

Hello
Thank you very much for the info. I did get the same impression however its nice to have a few people give a concrete answer.
Daniel

Return to posts index

Gretchen Kelbaugh
on Mar 9, 2011 at 1:41:23 pm

I'm starting to sell dvds, not knowing how many I'll need. At least 200. It seems 1/15 people complain that the dvds I burn from my Mac using disk utility don't play all the way through. Should I hire a company that burns dvd-r copies by robot machine, or stick with companies that press from a master?

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]