FORUMS: list search recent posts

mpeg-2 question

COW Forums : DVD Authoring

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
dupperware
mpeg-2 question
on Jun 9, 2005 at 3:29:20 pm

hello guys,

this is my first visit to this side of the cow.

after having edited and delivered the footage as avi, i was asked by my client to convert the avi's to mpeg-2's, so they can use it to put on their dvd.
i work with sony vegas 6 as my nle, which uses a main concept plug-in for mpeg encoding.
if i use the standard pal-dv settings, do you think i will be save? are there any pitfalls down the line of converting?
i know it's probably wiser to step to a authoring professional, and let him or her decide how to convert the material,
but i have to get it done this weekend, and i'm afraid i'm on my own. apart from you guys, that is.

thank you for any input.

robert.

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
Re: mpeg-2 question
on Jun 9, 2005 at 3:41:19 pm

Robert,

Tell us more about the client and the material... If the client demands absolute perfection, and the project is mission critical, then you'll want to dig under the hood a bit more...

BTW, someone is creating those DVDs for your client. It might as well be you. DVD Architect does a very nice job I've been told, and its integrated with Vegas, so you might consider learning hwo to create DVDs with it to boost your income and your value to your clients.

DRW

Return to posts index

George W.
on Jun 9, 2005 at 6:45:53 pm

Hi,

If you do end up just creating the mpeg-2's, how many minutes are all of the .avi's? Will they be burned to DVD5 or DVD9 or other?

What format audio is expected (LPCM, Dolby Digital, mpeg L2...)

I agree with DRW -- if you learn DVDA3, you can add that to your list of services :)

Return to posts index

dupperware
on Jun 10, 2005 at 6:32:42 am

the audio isn't that critical.
about 5-8 films, 2-5 minutes long, let's say about 30 minutes of material in total.
i did play around with DA3, and the dvd actually worked on my standalone dvd player.
i was just not comfortable with relying on a program, without knowing the dvd standard myself.
so, if DA3 get's it to work, it's a working dvd? all good functioning dvd players, stand alone and desktop, should be able to play it?
it's a pal dvd they want.

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
on Jun 10, 2005 at 8:43:17 am

[dupperware] "so, if DA3 get's it to work, it's a working dvd?"

Well, not exactly, and that's not exactly where we were headed with our advice for you...

Actually, with a bit of enthusiastic enterprise on your part, and a bit of help from us DVD Cow folk, you could fairly easily understand the nuts and bolts of the DVD process, thus enabling you to use DVD Architect and actually know what's going on underneath the hood.

Its late here now, but tomorrow I'll help you...

DRW

Return to posts index

George W.
on Jun 10, 2005 at 12:45:23 pm

I agree with DRW, the more you know about what's going on "under the hood", the better prepared you are for making a compatible disc...

I posted the following in another forum yesterday in reply to someone looking to make compatibile discs. There are other tips I'm sure, but here's some that seem to work for me...

<<<
There are some "general" rules that will increase your chances for creating a dvd that will play on your client's dvd player.

-total bitrate (video plus all audio tracks) at/under ~7500kbps
-don't fill up entire 4.37gb disc -- keep it around 4gb
-no sticky labels
-burn slower (instead of 8x or above, try 4x and below)
-use quality discs (try different brands)
-turn off virus scan and don't use computer during burn process
-check for burner firmware updates
-check for software burning patches
-book type setting to dvd-video (if your burner supports it)

That said, depending on the types of video services you plan to offer (it would have to be cost justified), you could always include a dvd player that you know works with the software and discs you plan to use. I mean, several large retailers in the U.S. offer a $20 DVD Player nowadays (Memorex or Cyberhome or something like that...). Even if you add the $20 for the DVD Player to the cost of services, the client will think they are getting much more in value because your package includes a brand new dvd player :)
>>>

Return to posts index

dupperware
on Jun 10, 2005 at 1:13:03 pm

thanks for all the advice, guys.
sleep well over there,

i'll come back tomorrow.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]