FORUMS: list search recent posts

Copy Protection

COW Forums : DVD Authoring

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Andrew Rice
Copy Protection
on Jun 9, 2005 at 2:49:01 am

Is there any way to copy protect DVD-R's? As far as I know there isn't, but I figured I'd ask the Pro's.

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
Re: Copy Protection
on Jun 9, 2005 at 4:39:47 am

The only truly effective way to protect yourself is to put a watermark (semi-transparent logo or company name) on your video.

Return to posts index

George W.
on Jun 9, 2005 at 12:19:39 pm

To prevent the "casual" disc copier, you could try the "scratch" approach.

Basically, add a few hundred MB of useless extra content to your disc (your video will have to be short enough to do this). Then look at the bottom of your disc and deliberately put a pin scratch in the outer edges of the burned section (hopefully this will be the useless extra content section).

The scratch prevents disc copying software from properly reading your disc (but others who are more computer savvy will be able to circumvent this approach). And this doesn't prevent an analog copy of your dvd (like from a dvd player to a VCR).

Return to posts index

Peter Corbett
on Jun 9, 2005 at 1:18:35 pm

Hey there Dave,

What are you editing on these days?

Peter Corbett
Powerhouse Productions
Australia
http://www.php.com.au

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
on Jun 9, 2005 at 2:29:59 pm

Hey Peter!!! I'm still using Edit 6.0 for he moment, and its still doing the trick for now. My golf clubs (except the driver) are ten years old, and I still manage to shoot in the low 70s with them too... I'm a creature of habit I guess.

Have a good winter downunder...

DRW

Return to posts index

Peter Corbett
on Jun 9, 2005 at 7:02:12 pm

Good to see! My golf is eh ummm.... a little rusty. All my edit stuff has gone, but I still like to hang around and see what happening on the edit forum. I'm all PPro though now, which has been a roller-coaster ride, but there are great advancements coming soon(ish).

Cheers from a wild winter's night. Still dubbing DVD's at 5.00 in the morning... Why can't we ever say no?

Peter Corbett
Powerhouse Productions
Australia
http://www.php.com.au

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
on Jun 9, 2005 at 7:09:34 pm

[Peter Corbett] "Why can't we ever say no?"

Three reasons why...

1) We're artists and customers allow us to create stuff

2) the customer is always right (supposedly)

3) they pay our bills (sometimes even on time)

Return to posts index

eric
by
on Jun 10, 2005 at 7:51:35 pm

Here's my take on copy protection. If people are gonna start copying your work, you, mostly likely, will sell ALOT of copies (and make ALOT on money). putting a scratch on a DVD-R may prevent this but it also puts you in danger of not playing on some players. Don't worry about people copying your stuff - only go with it if you are going to replicate thousands of discs.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]