FORUMS: list search recent posts

Copy Protection testing

COW Forums : DVD Authoring

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Brian
Copy Protection testing
on Jun 8, 2005 at 7:29:57 pm

Can I test the copy protection on a DVD before I send it for glass master? I am using Sonic Creator. Thanks!!!

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
Re: Copy Protection testing
on Jun 8, 2005 at 7:37:05 pm

Like on a DVD-R? No that is applied during replication.

Return to posts index

Brian
on Jun 9, 2005 at 2:54:50 pm

Yeah Noah...it is a DVD-R I am talking about. But you did answer my question. You know, Creator has an option to set the copy protection in the project prefs...so I thought that I might have a chance. But thanks for setting me straight on it.

Return to posts index

Bill Stephan
on Jun 9, 2005 at 3:39:59 pm

The first opportunity to check copy protection is on the check disc from the replicator. Always thoroughly check this disc in every possible way before you approve the replication run.

Bill Stephan
Senior Editor/DVD Author
USA Studios
New York City

Return to posts index

Brian
on Jun 9, 2005 at 5:04:06 pm

Thanks Bill. We always do here. Do all of the copy protection options of Creator have some sort of Licence agreement much like Macrovision? Also, under the APS option under Video Attributes, The APS option has Type1, Type2, Type3. What do they mean? What one would I use?

Thanks much!

Brian

Return to posts index

Bill Stephan
on Jun 10, 2005 at 7:35:20 pm

For CSS, it's up to the individual replicator's policy to charge or not. The CSS keys are quite expensive and you need one for each PCG being encrypted. For competitive reasons, some replicators throw in the CSS encryption for free.

Macrovision requires the disc producer to execute a license ($$$) for each disc title. Also the authoring facility is supposed to have a Macrovision license (no cost but onerous reporting requirements) to even turn on the Macrovision option.

Macrovision 1 is the least secure/most user-friendly, Macrovision 3 is the most secure and problematic/least user-friendly. Many disc use Macrovision 2.

Bill Stephan
Senior Editor/DVD Author
USA Studios
New York City

Return to posts index

Brian
on Jun 13, 2005 at 4:05:12 pm

Many thanks Bill...That is just what I needed.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]