FORUMS: list search recent posts

CRUNCH! audio glitch

COW Forums : DVD Authoring

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Bob Cole
CRUNCH! audio glitch
on Jun 6, 2005 at 5:54:16 pm

For a museum, I encoded a short video from Beta SP, very high quality original. It works perfectly sometimes, played back in an industrial DVD player.

But after two weeks now, randomly, it seems to seize at one point, show a little pixelation, and emit the most excruciating audio scream.

The point at which it fails is just before a cut from a no-audio, white-on-black title, to a full-motion video, full-up audio. I wonder whether re-editing the original video (changing the white-on-black to light-gray on dark-gray, and dissolving and fading up to the video/audio) would be a prudent thing to do.

I made a new DVD from the image file, which seems to work fine, but then again, the first DVD worked for a few weeks before developing this odd problem... what do you think?

-- Bob Cole

Return to posts index

Borjis
Re: CRUNCH! audio glitch
on Jun 6, 2005 at 9:12:34 pm

I would make sure the white is legal (235,235,235)

and also be sure and compress that audio to Dolby AC-3
at around 256kbps.

I've heard that exact glitch your talking about on
MANY DVD's that were authored with iDVD (usually) or DVDSP (barely) and had pcm uncompressed audio.

Return to posts index

Bob Cole
on Jun 6, 2005 at 11:36:57 pm

[Borjis] "and also be sure and compress that audio to Dolby AC-3
at around 256kbps."

How do I do that?

I have a Digital Rapids 500 card & Adobe Encore -- would be willing to upgrade if it would help solve such problems.

I've been using PCM audio with the Digital Rapids Stream/Mainconcept MPEG encoder because of data rate problems with MPEG Layer 2 audio, and for the convenience of the multiplexed file. But I don't see a way inside Adobe Encore to transcode the PCM audio to Dolby Digital without transcoding the video as well, which is unnecessary and would affect its quality adversely.

Return to posts index

Bill Stephan
on Jun 7, 2005 at 1:05:48 am

MPEG audio is not supported for NTSC DVD and many DVD players will not play it.

Bill Stephan
Senior Editor/DVD Author
USA Studios
New York City

Return to posts index

Bob Cole
on Jun 7, 2005 at 2:19:13 am

[Bill Stephan] "MPEG audio is not supported for NTSC DVD and many DVD players will not play it."

Right. The original suggestion from Borjis was that I use Dolby AC-3 audio, which doesn't seem to be an option in my first, encoding stage with Stream/Digital Rapids/Mainconcept encoder. MPEG Layer 2 and PCM are the available options.

Using PCM to encode results in a single multiplex file. I would then need to demux so I can treat the audio separately in Adobe Encore.

When I encoded with MPEG Layer 2, Stream gave me separate audio and video files. Encore transcoded the audio file; Dolby is an option. Is that workflow, then, your recommendation?

-- BC

Return to posts index

Bill Stephan
on Jun 7, 2005 at 3:37:12 pm

Whatever you need to do to create the .ac3 stream is the way to go. Not being an Encore user, I cannot advise you further on how specifically to accomplish that.

Bill Stephan
Senior Editor/DVD Author
USA Studios
New York City

Return to posts index

Will Borden
on Jun 10, 2005 at 11:10:31 am

You first need to seperate into two streams, Audio (MPA)or maybe(MP1) and video (MP2)or maybe(MPV).You could pick up a trial version of TMPGEnc to do this.. But I'll bet it is an option in Encore. From there you need to convert the audio to Dolby (AC3), doable in some of Sonic's, Adobe and Ulead's programs for PC ... Check Ebay ...

Will Borden <^_^>
have computer...won't travel
http://www.fiberglass-repair.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]