FORUMS: list search recent posts

very frustrated!

COW Forums : DVD Authoring

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Dietrich
very frustrated!
on Jun 6, 2005 at 2:03:22 am

I belong to a video association. I'm also a videographer who shoots weddings for a living. I also do funerals. In fact, funerals is full time for me.

Recently, I began networking with a great photographer. I take his wedding client's photo's and put them onto DVD for him. And it's a nice way to make a little extra money. But I have a problem when I take his photo's and put them into Vegas.

He gives the photo's (usually about 100 - 130 pictures) to me on CD. Each image can be between 2 MB and 19 MB. That's far too big for my work. The pictures shimmer like crazy then. Any foilage (trees, bushes, etc) or articles of clothing such as a tie, start shaking like crazy, especially with pan 'n' scan. So, I use Photoshop Elements to downsize the images, anywhere between, let's say, 75 to 300 kb. The lower you go, the fuzzier the picture. The higher you stay, the more shimmer you get. I've worked with the field order: trying "none (progressive scan)" to "lower field first". I have found that using "none(progressive scan)" works best.

My question, is, what is a person to do to get a decent picture? These photo's will be viewed on DVD, on a television. When I'm doing video montage's for funerals, I scan people's photo's in at around 150 dpi, the photo's are then as low as around 40 kb, and as high as 200 kb, and they turn out great! So i'm scratching my head here.

A personal note, it's embarrassing to ask questions that are probably elementary to many other folks on this forum.

"What happens in Vegas, stays in Vegas"

Return to posts index

arky
Re: very frustrated!
by
on Jun 6, 2005 at 2:31:42 am

An anti-flicker filter (or a fine blur) will reduce any shimmering due to interlacing fields showing, or failing to show, those detail pixels which only exist in one set of fields or the other.

HTH.

John.
('Arky')

Return to posts index

eric
by
on Jun 6, 2005 at 6:08:58 am

A little off topic here but...people actualy pay to have funeral videos!?!

Return to posts index

Borjis
on Jun 6, 2005 at 5:26:04 pm

I do a lot of that as well. I just did a photo montage in vegas.

My advice is to keep things simple and here's what I mean:

the picture should be downsized to no larger or smaller than 800 x 600.
it can be a litte smaller but try to keep it around that size.
any larger and vegas might choke or become slow.

This will also ensure a sharp picture. scans should be around 150 or 300 dpi then again, downsized to around 800 x 600.

Return to posts index

Ed
by
on Jun 6, 2005 at 8:35:39 pm

Are you kidding? I hear you can make a killing!
Ed (sorry)

[eric] "A little off topic here but...people actualy pay to have funeral videos!?!"

Return to posts index

Borjis
on Jun 6, 2005 at 9:01:00 pm

Yeah you'd be surprised. If you think about it though it makes
equal sense to having a wedding video, just like a birth video.

The biggest 3 events in your life:

Birth

Wedding

Death

I've seen all of these often, when doing VHS to DVD conversions.

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
on Jun 6, 2005 at 10:19:23 pm

And, as Clint Eastwood once said in one of his westerns, "dying ain't the worst thing ever happens to a man, its just the last..."

Return to posts index

Dietrich
on Jun 6, 2005 at 11:49:01 pm

That fer darn sure! I make most of my money doing funerals. And the nice thing, is, it's not seasonal work like weddings are ;) I do mostly tons of video montages that they play at the funerals.

"What happens in Vegas, stays in Vegas"

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]