FORUMS: list search recent posts

sound out of synch in some dvd players

COW Forums : DVD Authoring

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
sbparke
sound out of synch in some dvd players
on Jun 1, 2005 at 4:40:43 pm

i have a video made from aftereffects as an mpeg2-dvd and for some reason after burning this as a dvd video it seems like the audio is out of synch with the video, but it doesn't seem to be as noticeable until about halfway through the piece. after creating the mpeg2 i used tsunami TMPG DVD author 1.6 then burned with nero as a dvd video. any clue what could be causing this? the mpeg2 plays in synch on pc.

please help asap!
thanks.

Return to posts index

sbparke
Re: sound out of synch in some dvd players
on Jun 1, 2005 at 4:41:00 pm

i tested it on 2 different dvd players and did not seem to have this problem at all. anyone know why it would happen on 1 player but not on others? the only thing i can think of is that it was an older dvd player. are there any steps i could be missing? would the burning speed matter?

Return to posts index

sbparke
on Jun 1, 2005 at 7:56:55 pm

This was someone's suggestion to my problem:

One possibility is that the total bit rate is too high and the one dvd player can't handle it. How high is your combined (audio & video) bit rate?

can anyone tell me how i would go about finding this out? and what the total bit rate should be at? and what i can do to fix that? would i have to go back to aftereffects and re-render w/different settings?

Return to posts index

Matt Hall
on Jun 1, 2005 at 8:08:20 pm

my dvd player willl hsow it to you if you put the display on, I believe you can also open the files up in quicktime pro and take a look there. but in quicktime you have to look at the audio and video rates separately and add them together.

Return to posts index

sbparke
on Jun 1, 2005 at 8:37:46 pm

couldn't get my dvd player's menu to give me the bit rates and they're mpeg2s so i don't think quicktime can open it and windows media player isn't giving me a bit rate. either way, what would be an ideal bit rate? i'm hoping i can set the bit rate in aftereffects when i render out the video.

Return to posts index

Matt Hall
on Jun 1, 2005 at 8:43:15 pm

What I've always heard is that you should try to keep the total bit rate (audio+video) below 8mbps.

Here's a quote:

"The MPEG-2 codec allows for encoding between 1Mbps and 9.8Mbps. In practice 8Mbps is the maximum bit rate you should use, for 2 reasons ...

You need to allow some bandwidth for audio and subtitles

Some DVD-video players will struggle to decode bit rates above 8Mbps

To recap ...

1Mbps = minimum data rate allowed by DVD specification

9.8Mbps = maximum data rate allowed by DVD specification

8Mbps = maximum data rate you should use (to allow for poorly specified DVD players

5.5 - 6.5Mbps = typical commercial DVD data rates"

I got this from this website:
http://www.planetoftunes.com/dvd/encodev.html

Matt Hall
Director, Digital Post
CCG MetaMedia, Inc.

Return to posts index

sbparke
on Jun 1, 2005 at 8:46:22 pm

awesome, thank you! hopefully that will help

Return to posts index

Roadkill
on Jun 1, 2005 at 11:33:41 pm

You can find out what the maximum bit rate in your MPEG-2 files is with the help of Bitrate Viewer. Check the "peak" bit rate field.

As maximum for improved set top player compatibility I would suggest to use no more than 7Mb/s if you are using compressed audio. Should you be using uncompressed PCM audio, the maximum bit rate for the MPEG-2 video would be only 5.5Mb/s (which is rather low).

This online calculator could be useful: CustomFlix Bit Budget Calculator. It uses a slightly lower "safe" maximum.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]