FORUMS: list search recent posts

Button Rollover with Layered PSD?

COW Forums : DVD Authoring

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
LAchickpea
Button Rollover with Layered PSD?
on May 24, 2005 at 10:35:17 pm

I'm hoping this is a question with an easy fix/answer. I have made a project for my client that consists of layered PSD buttons. When I simulate the
project, the buttons roll over nicely (when mouse hovers over the button, it automatically changes the button image to it's "selected state" layer).
However, when I burn the DVD and play it back on a computer, it no longer has the "rollover" effect. Instead, you need to click enter over the button to get it to its selected state, then click enter again to activate the button (causing the user to need to double click in order to cause any action).

Basically, I just want these layered PSD buttons to do a nice, simple rollover. What am I missing? Thanks for your help!!

P.S. I am using DVD Studio Pro 3

Return to posts index

Roadkill
Re: Button Rollover with Layered PSD?
on May 24, 2005 at 10:48:44 pm

A menu with rollover type buttons is in fact a stack of menus. On each of those menus all buttons except the one linked that is currently selected is set to "auto activate". As soon as you navigate to one of those buttons with the arrow keys on the remote, it will automatically activate and send you to another menu with a different image for that button on it. This way the rollover effect is achieved.

But all software DVD players have the "auto activate" function disabled for direct mouse operation. This is why you have to click first to see the rollover state. The menu will work as intended when using the player's virtual remote keypad.

The only real solution is not to use layered menus (which are a workaround for a DVD spec limitation).

Return to posts index

Bill Stephan
on May 26, 2005 at 3:58:42 pm

It is unfortunate that the rollover capability you see during simulation in DVDSP is not part of the DVD Spec. Many customers see the type of effects possible in internet browsers, and then they insist that authors duplicate them in DVD.

Bill Stephan
Senior Editor/DVD Author
USA Studios
New York City

Return to posts index

LAchickpea
on May 27, 2005 at 1:46:44 pm

Roadkill & Bill,

I really appreciate your help/confirmation of the problem I'm facing. I was afraid this was the case. The simulator kind-of screwed me on this one...I'll have to rework the project.

Return to posts index

Bill Stephan
on May 27, 2005 at 6:06:49 pm

If you look in the Photoshop forum on the Cow, someone just recently asked about how to embed the layer effects so that other applications will see them. Jayse Hansen provides a procedure to do this, which you might find helpful.

Bill Stephan
Senior Editor/DVD Author
USA Studios
New York City

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]