"Video Bitrate Too High message" - But that shouldn't be
on May 14, 2005 at 6:01:37 pm

Greetings, and thanks for your help.

I am getting

Return to posts index

Roadkill
Re: "Video Bitrate Too High message" - But that shouldn't be
on May 14, 2005 at 6:44:28 pm

Even if you are using uncompressed AIFF audio with that, a maximum MPEG-2 bit rate of 5Mb/s should put you way below the allowed limit of 9.8Mb/s.

Are you sure that it was the maximum which you set to 5Mb/s? What is the total duration of all video in your project?

A possible quick fix could be to use A.Pack to convert the audio to Dolby Digital (AC3) at 192 or 224Kb/s. Assuming that you haven't done that already, this would lower the total bit rate by well over 1Mb/s.

Return to posts index

Brad Goodman
on May 14, 2005 at 6:59:26 pm

Thanks for replying ....

Yes, my settings when exporting from FCP are:

Target Bitrate: 2.0
Maximum Bitrate: 5.0

@ One Pass VBR

In the simulator, the video doesn't look too good, but at this point I just want to get the DVD working

As I mentioned, I was able to burn each of the pieces (the game itself and then the dunk contest) separately onto a DVD and they both played on my DVD player in the living room.

The game footage is 1-hour and 6-minutes
The dunk contest is 2-minutes and 48-seconds

I've also tried exporting out from Compressor at various flavors.

If you have any suggestions, no matter how off-the-wall, I'll give them a try.

Damn, this stuff is always so frustrating!

Thanks,
bfg

Return to posts index

George W.
on May 14, 2005 at 8:00:24 pm

Do you happen to have multiple audio tracks in your project? The total bitrate is your video + all audio tracks.

Also, check the header info for your video -- is it possible the header info has the wrong bitrate??? (I'm not familiar with FCP)

Return to posts index

Brad Goodman
on May 14, 2005 at 8:11:48 pm

Don't know is this is the problem, but I'll try it.

When I drop a m2V file onto the video track in DVDSP 2, it automatically places the audio file (aiff) for that m2v file in the first audio track. What I've been doing is manually placing a copy of that aiff file in the adjoining audio track thinking that this would provide stereo sound even though I have two channels already in the FCP sequence I'm exporting. I will try not doing this next and see if that helps.

Thanks.

Return to posts index

Brad Goodman
on May 14, 2005 at 11:47:54 pm

I have finally resolved the issue. Seems I was confused a little thinking that there was only one channel of audio when I'd drop the m2v into the video layer of DVDSP2 and automatically the first layer of audio was populated by the soundtrack. Instead of droping a second soundtrack into layer #2, I should have just left well enough alone and saved myself a few hours of frustration.

Oh well, live and learn.

Thanks to the two folks who offered help.

bfg

Return to posts index

WTS(JManz)
on May 15, 2005 at 12:46:23 pm

Brad,

For future reference, uncompressed audio formats (wave/aiff) are bandwidth 'hogs'. There are imposed dvd spec limits to how high the combined audio and video stream bitrates can be. The combined bitrate is ~ 10Mbps. Aiff all by itself is about 1.5 Mbps--leaving you a max bitrate of about 8.5 Mbps for your video. If you have a future project where you choose a higher video max bitrate than the one you posted AND you are using VBR to encode it(variable bitrate--which you are), then even with one audio stream (uncompressed) you could get the same error message. DVDSP's encoder currently is notorious for putting spikes in the video encode that go well above the 'limit' imposed by the user (in your case 5 Mbps) so that once it's combined with the audio, it exceeds the dvd spec, and the project build stops. You chose a very low max (5Mbps), and even with that, you got the error message trying to build with two audio streams. The two audio streams' bitrate are combined for consideration of overall bandwidth, so having two (1.5Mbps times two) lowers the video limit allowable to about 7 Mbps (10 Mbps max minus the 3 Mbps of the two audio streams). Eventhough the 7 Mbps was greater than you 5 Mbps max setting, compressor put a spike in the encode that put it over and you got an error message.

The things you can do to prevent that are first and foremost, convert your aiff audio to ac3 using the included APack program (currently outside of DVDSP--but will be included directly in the app with version 4). Second, avoid using VBR if possible (if you are using compressor). CBR with compressor is more reliable in keeping within the parameters you set. It appears to me that you only have about 70 minutes total of video content. You could encode that with CBR at ~7Mbps, encode your audio at 192 to 224 kbps ac3 and have a much better looking dvd. Since there will be a lot of motion in your content, IMO, you would want to use a higher bitrate.

Jim

Return to posts index

Brad Goodman
on May 16, 2005 at 7:56:14 pm

Indeed, Jim. When/As I start getting into authoring longer DVDs, I will need to be much more aware of the all the compression settings and how I've prepared my files for authoring. Thanks for your help and advice.

bfg

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]