FORUMS: list search recent posts

Fastest way to re-author a DVD with Copy Protection

COW Forums : DVD Authoring

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Erick
Fastest way to re-author a DVD with Copy Protection
on May 14, 2005 at 3:09:25 am

Hi, I was just wandering since the new version of Sony DVD has a feature where you can apply macrovision to your DVDs. I'd like to put that on my DVDs. I have some reels that do not have any copyright lock, what would be the fastest way to put a copy protection to a DVD that doesnt have it?

Return to posts index

eric
Re: Fastest way to re-author a DVD with Copy Protection
by
on May 14, 2005 at 4:37:24 am

The fastest way would be to have me do it.

poweragemedia@yahoo.com

Return to posts index

Erick
on May 14, 2005 at 4:55:11 am

could you do 20 discs and how much?

Return to posts index

Roadkill
on May 14, 2005 at 12:33:31 pm

[Erick] "...since the new version of Sony DVD has a feature where you can apply macrovision to your DVDs..."

Erick,

Could you please give a link to information about this feature? I find it very hard to believe that any DVD burner or recorder could do this.

Return to posts index

Erick
on May 14, 2005 at 4:14:33 pm

Hi

I actually messed up. No, the new version does not support that. I read the information wrong. It says that you can create files ready to be sent to an authoring facility only.

Sorry about that.

Return to posts index

eric
by
on May 14, 2005 at 8:09:44 pm

I was thinking you were talking about replicated these DVDs. If you have a disc that needs Macrovision and/or CSS applied, I can help you out. If your talking about burned disc then, as Roadkill indicated, it would be impossible.

poweragemedia@yahoo.com

Return to posts index

Erick
on May 14, 2005 at 8:13:04 pm

Yes, I need 20 discs that I would like to have CSS applied to them. Then I would like to make more copies myself to give to clients as well.

Return to posts index

eric
by
on May 14, 2005 at 8:27:03 pm

email me Erick

poweragemedia@yahoo.com

Return to posts index

Roadkill
on May 14, 2005 at 10:17:17 pm

Erick,

As eric mentioned, copy protection can only be added to replicated DVDs. Replication means pressing discs from a glass master. Normally a replication run starts from at least 300 discs.

Return to posts index

drumrob
on May 17, 2005 at 10:58:15 pm

Erick, CSS can only be aplied by re-authoring your project. It cannot be added to an existing disc directly. You should be able to open up your old project and just set a flag that allows CSS to be added. It's possible the lower cost DVD authoring software just does not have that option, I don't know. Once you've checked to enable CSS, when you send the master to a replication plant, THEY add the key that enables CSS. CSS CANNOT be put on a DVD-R. And once you get back your discs with CSS from the replication plant that contain CSS, you CANNOT copy them (without using illegal ripping software - a whole 'nother story). That is, after all, the purpose of CSS - to not allow the DVDs to be copied.

Hope this helps. Have fun.

Rob

Rob Neidig
R&R Media Producttions
Eugene, Oregon

Return to posts index

Rich Rubasch
on May 18, 2005 at 1:40:37 am

Ok, all this is true, but how about simply putting a "Copyright 2005" on the outer labeling, the disk label, and somewhere on the menu, along with a copyright screen somewhere as a menu item that explains the usage of the disc. It's not CSS but it lets the viewer know you are serious about protecting the material.

If you really don't want people to copy it don't put it on the disc.

You are getting a bit of a taste of what the big studios are going thru.

Rich Rubasch
Tilt Media

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]