FORUMS: list search recent posts

Stickey Labels

COW Forums : DVD Authoring

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
matt
Stickey Labels
by
on May 9, 2005 at 5:27:15 pm

I've heard over and over not to use stickey labels on DVD's, but I have never heard an explanation why, does any now why?

Return to posts index

George W.
Re: Stickey Labels
on May 9, 2005 at 5:49:22 pm

I've heard a couple of reasons:

-the glue dries differently in certain areas of the label, causing possible tension and "warpness" in the dvd surface.
Since the inside of a dvd player gets quite hot (feel one of your dvd's after playing it for a couple of hours) the heat can cause the glue on your sticky label to do bad things...

-applying the label slightly off center can cause a slight imbalance in your dvd. The imbalance might be enough to cause problems during playback.

I don't use sticky labels, but I've read where people do use them, and have never had a problem. Maybe it comes down to the quality of the labels, the label applicator, and the dvd surface???

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
on May 9, 2005 at 7:43:31 pm

Matt,

As a rule, I don't use stickies for anything important or anything with a shelf life, but for things like one time viewing copies, demos, review copies for clients, etc., I think its okay. In the old days when DVD players cost more than $50 I was concerend about gumming them up with labels, but now I'd just buy a new one if there was a problem. Haven't seen those problems yet anyway.

DRW

Return to posts index

Roadkill
on May 9, 2005 at 9:32:03 pm

The most important reason not to use adhesive labels is the different thermal expansion coefficients of label and disc. A DVD can heat up quite a bit during playback, and because of the difference in expansion, the disc will get slightly warped. As the reading laser focusses with a very narrow depth of field, even a very tiny uneveness will cause a sharp increase in read errors.

I have seen the result of tests done by AudioDev where the number of (PI) errors increased by factors of 100 and more after a label was applied. The label that did the least harm was a thin mylar type label, but even that made the DVD less readable. If a DVD still plays with a label, it just means that the set top player can handle the high error rate and not that using labels does no harm.

Another possible and apparently real problem with labels is that because the glue may get squishy when it is sufficiently heated (and some players can run quite hot), the label may become unstuck in the player (your client's very expensive player of course) and shreds of sticky paper get wedged in its mechanism.

Return to posts index

Matt Janowsky
on May 10, 2005 at 1:14:03 am

I'm currious, what do you guys use for labels. I'm thinking about buying an epson ink jet for my labeling. I get my big jobs screen printed, this is just for single copy use, about 3 to 5 a week. I want to use something besides a sharpie.

Return to posts index

Borjis
on May 10, 2005 at 5:26:52 pm

You should only use the thin mylar ones. At least thats what I would
do if i didn't have a disc printer.

The number 1 reason I will never use stick on labels is the
out of balance vibration that tends to occur.

Return to posts index

Jim Zito
on May 11, 2005 at 1:05:06 pm

Borjis,
Where can you find the mylar labels? Thanks.

Return to posts index

Jim Zito
on May 11, 2005 at 10:06:58 pm

Thanks!

Return to posts index

Will Borden
on May 12, 2005 at 10:53:41 am

Why not buy the inkjet hub printable DVD-Rs? like so..
http://www.supermediastore.com/prodisc-dvd-r-media.html

Will Borden <^_^>
have computer...won't travel
http://www.fiberglass-repair.com

Return to posts index

Borjis
on May 12, 2005 at 4:22:33 pm

probably doesn't have a disc printer.

but if you do, yeah use that instead.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>