FORUMS: list search recent posts

dvd authoring process

COW Forums : DVD Authoring

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
cdoss
dvd authoring process
on May 5, 2005 at 11:12:29 pm

Could someone direct me to some information about the entire process of making an encripted glass master and duplicating dvds from the time I have authored it in DVD Studio pro. Mainly I would like to know the significance of the DLT and macrovision, and to know if making a dlt is the only way to apply macrovision.

Thanks for your help

Return to posts index

Michael Autery
Re: DVD authoring process
on May 6, 2005 at 6:10:10 am

Glass Mastering comprises a number of stages needed to create a metalized glass master from which the stampers are produced for the DVDs to be stamped/replicated

Encryption CSS/Marcovision is done at the replication facility when making the Glass-master, depending on the replication facility you may be able to send your DVD-r master to the replicator and have them add the CSS/Marco-vision when creating the glass-master

Duplication is done with a CD/VD duplicator which you can purchase for a couple grand, you buy blank media and burn the Disc your self or have someone else do it for you

Replication is the process of making a glass-master, Stamper and the DVDs are manufactured and not burnt to blank media.

maybe that helps

Regards,
Michael Autery
DVD-Makers.com
200 Encore Motion DVD Menus &
260 DVD Motion Menu Backgrounds

Return to posts index

matt
Re: dvd authoring process
by
on May 6, 2005 at 1:06:27 pm

I've been told that the DLT will ensure that your DVD will play in all DVD players. If you just duplicate or replicate DVD-R or DVD+R you take the chance of your DVD not playing in some players. I had this problem once. I duplicated 300 copies of a DVD-R, and the discs wont play in high end sony DVD players, they play fine everywhere else though. I now do DLT everytime.

Return to posts index

Bill Stephan
on May 6, 2005 at 8:01:01 pm

The data is written to a DVD-R disc using 2048 byte sectors. If a DVD is to have Macrovision, CSS or region coding, a 2054 byte sector is required. These sectors cannot be written to a normal DVD-R, so the only way to create that formatting and get the data to the replicator is via DLT tape.

Bill Stephan
Senior Editor/DVD Author
USA Studios
New York City

Return to posts index

Mark Shueard
on May 8, 2005 at 10:03:23 am

The data is written to a DVD-R disc using 2048 byte sectors. If a DVD is to have Macrovision, CSS or region coding, a 2054 byte sector is required. These sectors cannot be written to a normal DVD-R, so the only way to create that formatting and get the data to the replicator is via DLT tape.

OR DVD-R for Authoring disks.

Canopus/SONY Reseller Australia
http://www.on2dvd.com.au

Return to posts index

Fabrizio Roscini
on May 12, 2005 at 9:03:25 pm

Hello, I'm really interested in this matter...
Does anybody know if DVD authoring discs are available in double layer format?

Thanks
Fabrizio

Return to posts index

Erick
on May 14, 2005 at 4:57:36 am

Is there any way to copy protect a DVD-R ?

Return to posts index

Roadkill
Re: copy protect a DVD-R ?
on May 14, 2005 at 12:39:19 pm

Not really. The only "sort of" copy protection for writable DVDs is to burn your project to a DVD-RW that supports CPRM (Content Protection for Recordable Media) and burn DVD-R copies from this DVD-RW master. This seems to make copying a bit harder.

Also see the DVD Demystified FAQ: What are the copy protection issues?

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]