FORUMS: list search recent posts

HELP! HOW TO FIX AUDIO OUT OF SYNC?

COW Forums : DVD Authoring

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jim L.
HELP! HOW TO FIX AUDIO OUT OF SYNC?
on Apr 14, 2005 at 3:53:52 am

A 27-minute quicktime movie exported from final cut pro plays perfectly on my G5. DVD's produced from the same file (very simply via iDVD) play perfectly on my G5. But the same DVD's fall out of audio sync right from the start in varying degrees when played on other machines! Spent an hour on the phone with Apple Tech Support today and came up with absolutely no answers (no surprise there of course). What could possibly be causing this? The DVD's that play on my G5 even lose sync on my 12 inch powerbook! Is there some way to export the file using a specific codec that will eliminate this problem? I'll even go out and buy DVD Studio Pro if that would help. I need to distribute these DVD's but cannot until I can be sure they'll play in sync on machines other than my own!
Any input would be greatly appreciated ....
Jim L.

Return to posts index

Bill Stephan
Re: HELP! HOW TO FIX AUDIO OUT OF SYNC?
on Apr 14, 2005 at 4:15:02 pm

What is the source of the audio you used? If it came from a mini-DV camera (not DVCAM or DVCPro), the unlocked audio used in these devices can and does cause sync to drift as you proceed through various digital production processes. BEWARE OF UNLOCKED AUDIO!

Our company has a proprietary method to deal with this problem, which crops up all the time these days. As more people try to do high-end production using inexpensive tools, the limitations of these devices become apparent.

Bill Stephan
Senior Editor/DVD Author
USA Studios
New York City

Return to posts index

c Corona
on Apr 15, 2005 at 12:49:42 am

We are having the same problem. On an 87 minute documentary. We lose sync at about 60 minutes both on iDVD and on DVD Studio Pro (have tried both now). Does anyone have a good work flow going from 24P project to a 30fps DVD?

Catherine C.

Return to posts index

Scott Wright
on Apr 20, 2005 at 6:44:44 am

I might regret posting this - (please don't hate me), but try importing seperate audio and video into a Premiere Pro 1.5 system and export them as a combined (regular DV file - or quicktime) and then re-import them into iDVD. Premiere Pro seems to deal with unlocked audio very nicely. I have yet to have problems with mixing locked and unlocked camera audio on long projects.

I know that this does not solve the issue, but might provide a workaround in the meantime.

Scott

Return to posts index

Scott Wright
on Apr 20, 2005 at 6:48:09 am

I Almost forgot...

If the audio is still out of sync after importing go into the "speed/duration" menu (right click on the audio track) and change the audio duration to match the video duration. It might take a couple of tries to get it exact.

Scott

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]