FORUMS: list search recent posts

compatibility nightmare

COW Forums : DVD Authoring

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Bob Hager
compatibility nightmare
on Apr 13, 2005 at 12:59:29 am

I have been producing dvd's for over a year and until recently have not had any compatibility issues with the hundreds that I have sold. On my last project, I have had the sound drop out of the live recordings within the dvd on several set top boxes including my own. I have talked to adobe tech support and they keep telling me, it just certain media are not compatible with certain dvd players, but why have I not experienced this before. I am using the same brand of media of the same quality. I can author old mp2 files and the sound is fine, but whenever I seem to author something recently recorded, the sound drops out when I play it on my dvd player. I have spent hours trying to do things differently, but to no avail. I am both confused and be honest with you, at an end. Almost makes me want to go back to vhs.

Going crazy
Bob Hager

Return to posts index

Roadkill
Re: compatibility nightmare
on Apr 13, 2005 at 1:10:23 am

Bob,

Is there no audio at all, no audio in certain sections, or does the audio come and go at random?
Is the audio transcoded to Dolby Digital (AC3) and if so at which bit rate?
What is the peak bit rate of the MPEG-2 video? (You can check this with Bitrate Viewer.)
If you compare the bit rate of the old (okay) and the new (not okay) projects, is there a significant difference?

Return to posts index

Bob Hager
on Apr 13, 2005 at 1:23:53 am

The audio where I have sound track files is fine, it is only the audio that comes from my camera is missing when I play it on my dvd set top player. It plays fine on my computer player. I have used both the dolby ac-3 settings as well as the settings that create a wav. file, same result. In regards to the bit rate, I have used the standard settings (that I have always used)that premiere pro has created for me in the media encoder. What really confuses me is i can take an mp2 and wav file that I created several months ago with premiere pro and create a dvd using encore and the sound is fine.

I did check out one thing, even when I encoded the file with the standard settings (not dolby) the audio settings still said dolby instead of mp2, would that make any difference?

Hope someone can give me some ideas.

Thx,

Bob Hager

Return to posts index

George W.
on Apr 13, 2005 at 12:51:24 pm

Do you have different audio formats/types in the same VTS? This could cause problems during playback. Try to use the same audio type for the entire VTS

Return to posts index

Roadkill
on Apr 13, 2005 at 1:12:45 pm

Bob,

My suspicion is that some of the audio you have used is in MPEG-1 Layer II (mpa) format, instead of Dolby Digital (AC3) or PCM (wav). NTSC set top DVD players are not required to support MPEG audio and even if a player does, then this type of audio will only be sent to the analog output and not to the digital one.

Preferably all audio imported in Encore should be PCM, 48KHz, 16 bit, stereo and be transcoded by Encore to Dolby Digital. (Or imported as Dolby Digital.) If there is no other source available than the MPEG-1 Layer II audio, make sure that you let Encore convert it to AC3.

Return to posts index

Bill Stephan
on Apr 13, 2005 at 7:27:22 pm

Is your camera set to record 32 or 44KHz audio? That's a no-no! You need 48KHz for DVD.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]