FORUMS: list search recent posts

DVD authoring software

COW Forums : DVD Authoring

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Alan Teo
DVD authoring software
on Apr 8, 2005 at 2:46:50 pm

hi all, i have been using ADobe DVD encore for quite some time. Recently one of my clients requested for multi-angle function in a DVD. Sadly to say ADobe dvd encore do not support multi-angle authoring. Is there any other good authoring software in the market that supports multi-angle authoring???

Return to posts index

George W.
Re: DVD authoring software
on Apr 8, 2005 at 3:57:15 pm

Sonic Scenarist :)

Return to posts index

eric
by
on Apr 8, 2005 at 6:03:50 pm

Try this - it kinda has a learning curve:

http://www.mediachance.com/dvdlab/

Return to posts index

Roadkill
on Apr 8, 2005 at 7:40:34 pm

Eric,

Angles are part of DVD-lab's "Future Plans", not of the current product. ;-)

Return to posts index

Bob Cole
on Apr 9, 2005 at 12:01:18 am

What is "Multi-angle?"

Return to posts index

Dave Friend
on Apr 9, 2005 at 1:17:02 am

A seldomseparate used feature of the DVD spec. Somewhat like alternate audio tracks for different languages there can be separate video tracks with other angles of the video (think multi-cam).

If you dig into the controls of your DVD player you should find the function that allows you to choose which 'angle' (a.k.a. video track) to view. Of course you only have the option if an alternate angle is present on the disc. I've only ever seen one - a training DVD for hair stylist.

There are some technical requirements for a multi-angle compliant mpeg2 file. I think it mostly pertains to having the same and a consistent GOP structure on each angle. And of course your authoring application must allow for multi-angle DVD creation.

Dave

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
on Apr 9, 2005 at 4:54:13 am

Bob,

In a nutshell, multi-angle is currently in use by only segment of the entainment industry. There's doggie style shot from behind, from the front, from above, from below, POV of the guy, of the girl, etc., etc., etc. Get the picture???

DRW

Return to posts index

Bob Cole
on Apr 11, 2005 at 1:12:46 am

[David Roth Weiss] "Get the picture??? "

And I thought you were into making political films.

Return to posts index

Alex Alexzander
on Apr 9, 2005 at 2:52:47 am

DVD Studio Pro supports Mixed and Multi-angle DVD authoring.

Return to posts index

arky
by
on Apr 9, 2005 at 5:30:12 pm

Just to clarify a little, 'Mixed-Angle' is not a true DVD Spec' term, but refers to the creation of Title VOBs with portions of conventional, non-interleaved, material interspersed with one or more Interleave Blocks, containing multiple Angle choices. A typical example of this approach is in films where the beginning and end credit sequences are comprised of multiple language versions, in the form of alternative Angles, so that the main feature is in the one language, but, depending on which Angle has been 'set', by a viewer's language choice, the appropriate Angle, containing the chosen language, will be 'honoured' by the player any time an Angle Interleave Block is encountered during playback of the Title. Other Title designs are not language based, but simply allow the viewer to access Multi-Angle content manually, using the remote, at isolated portions during playback of an otherwise non-Multi-Angle feature.

John.
('Arky')

P.S. I hope pastures-new are working out ok for you, Alex.

Return to posts index

arky
by
on Apr 9, 2005 at 5:40:16 pm

I neglected to add that, while Scenarist, as George W rightly stated, is capable of Mutli-Angle (both Seamless and Non-Seamless, if you have the Pro version), so is Minerva (Pinnacle) Impression (although Impression is only capable of a lowly 2 Angles, in total).

However, given that Scenarist is so stratospherically-priced, I would wholeheartedly agree with Alex's suggestion to use DVD Studio Pro, even if it means buying a Mac Mini in order to use it. DVD SP 2/3 is, as most people are aware, by-and-large, a port of Spruce Technologies' DVDMaestro. DVD SP 3 may not be perfect (what software IS?), but it is undoubtedly the most powerful piece of DVD Authoring software available for less than a thousand (or considerably more) dollars. It will, with a little coaxing(!) manage the full Spec limit of 8 Angles, along with a whole host of other capabilities which Encore is only beginning to scratch the surface of (note that DVD SP will do Buttons Over Video, which can be useful when undertaking Multi-Angle work).

John.
('Arky')

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
on Apr 9, 2005 at 5:40:29 pm

[arky] "Other Title designs are not language based, but simply allow the viewer to access Multi-Angle content manually, using the remote, at isolated portions during playback of an otherwise non-Multi-Angle feature."

"Shorthand" for adult films...

Return to posts index

arky
by
on Apr 9, 2005 at 6:11:45 pm

David, I appreciate the point you made in your original post, and you are, of course, correct that M-A is widespread in the Adult Entertainment Industry (indeed, the Adult Entertainment Industry may, arguably, have been quite a driving force in home video technologies), but I assure you, categorically, that I was NOT referring to 'Adult' films, in my own post, whatsoever. Multi-Angle has been used in a whole host of legitimate (non-XXX-rated) mainstream films, for various creative purposes, not least in attempts to mimic that Holy Grail of DVD authoring, Seamless Multi-Story (AKA 'Seamless-Branching').

For example, one means of achieving such mimicry is to place a Multi-Angle Interleave Block near the beginning of a Title VOB, such that one story (the 'longer-duration version') begins with a segment of non-interleaved content, then, shortly afterwards, enters a M-A segment, playing Angle 0, then exits and playback continues to the conclusion of the film, with no more M-A segments being encountered. The second story version skips the first non-interleaved cell, used by Story 1, and instead begins at the beginning of the Multi-Angle Block, at Angle 1, playing the appropriate alternative scene and then exiting and playing back the rest of the non-interleaved material in the Title, that is common to both stories (upon exiting Angle 1 of the Interleave Block, the player will automaticaly default playback to the only remaining Angle - Angle 0, without a significant glitch, if authored correctly). The Angles contained within that Multi-Angle segment, near the beginning of the Title, contain entirely different material and thus switching between the two Angles, during playback of either story version, is disabled in UOPs. Broadly-speaking, it can be seen that this implementation of 'interspersed' ('Mixed-Angle', in Spruce/Apple Parlance) Multi-Angle would hold little or no interest for a DVD author working in the Adult Entertainment Industry. In my above post, I was referring to entirely 'legitimate' use of M-A, right from the outset, so, no harm done, but in future, please refrain from misappropriating my comments and speak for yourself!

John.

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
on Apr 9, 2005 at 6:31:53 pm

John,

Characterizing your words as "shorthand" was an attempt at humor... You have so many words to spare, I figured you wouldn't mind if I misappropriated a few.

Sorry if I offended you.

Return to posts index

arky
by
on Apr 9, 2005 at 6:37:42 pm

David, as I said, no harm done, I was just rather peeved, even though I understood it was meant humourously...

Regards,

John.

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
on Apr 9, 2005 at 6:51:31 pm

John,

I go through this stuff all the time with my British friends... I have to explain my jokes to them, and they are very intelligent people. It can be very frustrating for a would-be comedian... Sometimes I wonder how you guys came up with Monty Python???

Return to posts index

arky
by
on Apr 9, 2005 at 7:12:21 pm

Therein lies the problem - If Monty Python only ever released their sketches and filmscripts in text form (I think that method used to be referred to as 'books'..), then they would surely have had their fans (as does Larson, another of my all-time favourites), but nothing like the millions who 'grasp' the decidedly-unorthodox Python humour by virtue of the vocal intonations and facial expressions given life by the medium of film. The Parrot sketch is a prime example of this - without Cleese's outrageous gesticulation and outlandishly-indignant vocal performance, much of the hilarity would be lost.

Text is wonderful, and has stood the test of time, but when it comes to humour (particularly sarcasm), it's often woefully inadequate unless one is a master wordsmith (which, incidentally, I would never, personally, claim to be).

"..and now for something comPLETEly different..." - isn't this a DVD authoring forum?

John.

Return to posts index

Alan Teo
on Apr 10, 2005 at 7:15:09 am

thanks for all the replies... since i am using windows platform, I think i will check out Sonic Scenarist. :)

Return to posts index

WTS(JManz)
on Apr 10, 2005 at 1:43:35 pm

You do realize that the cost of Scenarist software alone (for what you want to do) is several thousands more than DVDSP AND a Mac to run it on?

Jim

Return to posts index

harold
on Apr 11, 2005 at 3:14:07 pm

hi john,

another example of seamless multi-angle being used for non-'adult' purposes is advertising. what a nice way to display your product from several angles, no? bmw released a dvd a while back that allowed the user to switch between angles while watching footage of various cars.

also a company called mx entertainment--of which i am sure you have heard--has been exploiting the same features slightly differently to produce semi-interactive concert dvds.

i am however, curious about what interesting uses people have found for non-seamless multi-angle. i imagine it is might be more effective for trying to do fake seamless multi-story.

cheers,
h

Return to posts index

eric
by
on Apr 12, 2005 at 4:55:52 am

I'm using the feature right now for a Surf DVD. Ive got a camera on the nose, the tail, in the water and 1 on the shore. I also have a multi cam shot with all 4. Its a cool effect.

Ive also seen some medical training DVDs of a surgery with multi angles.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]