I've just completed my first effort at authoring a DVD in DVD Studio Pro 2. It was pretty successful and played correctly on my computer. When I tried it in a friend's DVD player for a TV, none of the chapter buttons worked. I don't have my own DVD player for testing and plan to buy one, because I am hooked and will need it. Two questions:
1) what did I miss about authoring that didn't make the leap over to the TV?
2) what type of DVD player should I buy that is the most universal so that I can really tell if my program works?
I suppose it will take more information to answer these questions, so I am looking for places to start! Thanks for any direction you can give me!
It sounds like the reason the chapter buttons didn't work was because you didn't set the button navigation. On a set-top DVD player the only menu controls you have for moving from one button to another are the North/South/East/West arrows on the remote control, so the up/down/left/right navigation has to be set for each menu button when you author the disc. If your only check during simulation is to mouse over the buttons instead of actually only using the arrows on the simulated remote control, then you will miss this. In the future this can be done without checking on a set-top unit. You should, however, check your DVD on a set-top unit (any cheap one will do) in order to make sure you don't have problems with the compression, interlacing, a bit rate that's too high and so on. Playback on a computer will not show you this.
Thanks for your reply. It helped me take a closer look at what I'd done. Turned out that missing the navigation settings was only part of my problem. I did not assign overlays for highlighting to the buttons and that's keeping me from being able to tell where I am wen I play the similator. Secondly, I didn't pay attention to names i assigned to buttons so that the Button Inspector came up with a bizarre selection of choices. In other words, the program is working but I couldn't tell what it was doing so it was appearing to me not to work. I think I can sort it out now if I add highlights to the buttons. You got me on the right path!