FORUMS: list search recent posts

who edits your program for commercial broadcast?

COW Forums : Cinematography

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
mark thompson
who edits your program for commercial broadcast?
on Jan 13, 2020 at 6:36:41 pm

not sure of the correct forum but if anyone knows or knows a good place to find more information...

So you make your doc to a set time for continuous display but you get a chance to put it on a commercial channel ☺ On YouTube they just insert an Ad at any inappropriate point so it's not really a problem. On Broadcast channels they have very fixed break slots to fill. So somebody has to fill those slots, probably the playout provider. However I noticed the doc is obviously edited at the breaks, specifically they might do a little recap. Perhaps repeating small parts of the previous segment.

Who does that edit? Do you, the producer, provide a version edited for Broadcast? Does the Broadcaster do it?

tia.

Return to posts index

Todd Terry
Re: who edits your program for commercial broadcast?
on Jan 13, 2020 at 7:16:29 pm

If a producer is creating something for broadcast, they will determine where breaks go and build those in, exactly as they want.

If the initial producer is no longer involved (say, originally it was a theatrical doc, and is has now been sold and will be appearing on television), then typically the broadcaster will create their own master for broadcast, putting breaks in appropriate places.

Way back when the dinosaurs roamed and I worked in broadcast television, sometimes on the weekends we would run movies. We only got the theatrical versions, so it fell to me on one or two occasions to take those and create broadcast versions.... cutting them for time and content to fit the program slot, deciding where/how to insert breaks and all that jazz.

But if a production is created for TV, obviously that is done at the initial production stage.

T2

fantasticplastic.com

Return to posts index

mark thompson
on Jan 14, 2020 at 11:32:35 am

thanks, makes sense

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on Jan 14, 2020 at 4:42:37 pm

I think the sales department at the network or station will have something to say about this. The criteria are different for PBS and commercial broadcast, and what PBS will do to a doc shown in the "pledge drive" time slots can be... brutal.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2020 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]