FORUMS: list search recent posts

Trying to figure out how this shot, and want to try and replicate in future...

COW Forums : Cinematography

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Tom Laughlin
Trying to figure out how this shot, and want to try and replicate in future...
on May 15, 2018 at 4:43:14 pm
Last Edited By Tom Laughlin on May 15, 2018 at 4:43:43 pm

Cinematographers, I recently watched a beautifully shot interview with James Cameron and George Lucas for the AMC channel, I'm sure a few of you have seen this clip already. I just wanted to know what you would say as to what they may have done for this interview set-up, cameras, lighting, camera movement, lens flares, etc.

Thanks in advance, Tom 👍

Tom Laughlin
Producer/Editor
Salt Lake City, Utah
digitalchophouse.com

Return to posts index

Stephen Smith
Re: Trying to figure out how this shot, and want to try and replicate in future...
on May 25, 2018 at 9:17:54 pm

To me, it looks like the 3 cameras are on sliders or dollies. Since this looks expensive I would imagine their camera are on a motorized slider. For example, Syrup Genie will allow you to set the rig so it moves the camera left to right and then it will go right to left. So it ping-pongs back and forth until you stop it.

I own a Genie 1 and the marketing team claims you can do this but the motor in the device is way to loud in my opinion. I'm curious if the other rigs would work. If not you can always hand move it.

Stephen Smith

Utah Video Productions

Check out my Vimeo page

Return to posts index

Stephen Smith
Re: Trying to figure out how this shot, and want to try and replicate in future...
on May 25, 2018 at 10:30:53 pm

Ha ha, YouTube just placed this in my recommended videos. Here is a video that shows you what you are looking for:

Stephen Smith

Utah Video Productions

Check out my Vimeo page

Return to posts index

Todd Terry
on May 26, 2018 at 1:37:28 am

It's a very good looking setup.

But not a hard one at all.

The key light could be something as simple as a single china ball hung above the table just out of frame. I'll note that the light on Lucas is pretty flat (the key is hitting him straight on), whereas it is not quite as flat on Cameron... he is obviously a little to one side for it. That could have been on purpose, or he could have simply shifted his chair a bit.

The lens flares couple be real and practical, or might have been added in post. The have a little bit of a Magic Bullet look to me, which makes me think they might have been a post effect.

And yes, as Stephen pointed out the camera moves are just slider or dolly moves on curved track.

For a similar setup that looks great watch David Letterman's interviews on his new Netflix series. The lighting (lots of backlighting) and camera moves (lots of arcing dolly moves) on that show are brilliant, giving a real dynamic feel to what is basically two people sitting still on an empty stage.

T2

fantasticplastic.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]