FORUMS: list search recent posts

Tripod repair

COW Forums : Cinematography

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Harry Bromley-Davenport
Tripod repair
on Apr 11, 2018 at 8:23:22 pm

I have a older (around 2006) Manfrotto tripod with a ding in one leg which needs removal - or the leg needs replacement. Can anyone please advise of a repair place? Preferably in LA, but elsewhere is ok too.

Ding is not huge. It's maybe 3 millimeters deep - but prevents leg from passing that point.

Hope you can help

Harry

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
Re: Tripod repair
on Apr 18, 2018 at 4:07:36 pm

Nobody's answered yet so I'll suggest a DIY solution. Might work, might not.

If the leg is metal, take a high speed metal drill bit sized just a tiny fraction smaller than the dimple, drill out the center of the dimple, then use a ball-peen hammer, with perhaps a hardwood block, to tap the edges down level with the hole, or use a mini sanding disk with a Dremel tool or hand drill, to file down the edge. You can "sneak up" on this repair in stages, going from under-sized to to bigger and bigger holes, until you've eliminated enough of the surface irregularity to make the leg slide in and out again.

A hole in the leg is going to create a weak spot. How weak depends on how big the hole and how much metal remains around it. Could be that if the ding is small, the hole doesn't compromise the integrity enough to matter. Especially if the leg is rarely extended enough to expose the holed section.

If the ding is really large, then you might as well replace the leg segment altogether. Me, worst-case, I'd probably try some JB Weld metal on it, backing it up with some blue tape on the inside, then sanding it flush on the outside. But that depends on if the leg segment is H-shaped, D-dhaped, O-shaped, or C-shaped.

Return to posts index

Harry Bromley-Davenport
Re: Tripod repair
on Apr 18, 2018 at 5:59:48 pm

Thanks for the response. That sounds like a really good idea. I imagine that a new leg piece and installation would costs several hundred $$. So I'm grateful that you took the time to explain so carefully.

I will totter out today and buy the necessary tools. It's not a HUGE ding. It's just enough to prevent it from closing.

I will keep you up to date with developments.

Best, Harry.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]