FORUMS: list search recent posts

Learning how to use different cameras/lights on a budget?

COW Forums : Cinematography

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Elizabeth Johnson
Learning how to use different cameras/lights on a budget?
on Oct 2, 2017 at 7:21:19 pm

Hi all,

I'm adept at using a few cameras, including the C100, but I'd like to know how to work with more cameras. It's very costly to rent equipment, and I'd love to know if anyone has suggestions of how to do this on a budget?
Thank you!

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
Re: Learning how to use different cameras/lights on a budget?
on Oct 3, 2017 at 3:30:18 pm

I can't help you much with the camera side, but you can learn a lot of the basics about how to light, without owning any lights, or needing any large studio space, by modeling a scene in a 3-d animation app like Poser. You don't have to be an animator: the program comes with pre-made people and props, and there's many additional ones available online for free or at low cost.

But the point here is to learn what a frame looks like with different lens settings ( these are changeable in Poser), camera placement, and lighting. The program gives you spot lights, softlights, linear lights like florescent and neon tubing - all with the ability to modify color, intensity, beam spread, falloff... and the settings can be keyframed and animated to change over time... you can spend a LOT of time playing with all this and rendering out stills to show what you can accomplish.

The camera and lens can be animated to do trucking and jib moves as well as focus pulls, too.

One can also do this in Apple Motion or Adobe AfterEffects, but I think Poser is the better place to do this. One can often find Poser or Daz 3-d on sale online; you don't need the newest version, any of them will do for lighting training, as long as it can run on your computer.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]