FORUMS: list search recent posts

Getting Actors for my fun / non-professional short film.

COW Forums : Cinematography

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jon Metallo
Getting Actors for my fun / non-professional short film.
on Sep 16, 2017 at 3:27:54 am

I was wondering the best way to get actors for my short film project? It is nothing professional but just some fun ideas that I have.
Some people write stories or draw pictures or take photos for hobbies, I like shooting short films.
Being just for fun, the budget is very small to non-existent ☺

TLDR: What is the best way to get actors for my fun project ☺

Thanks for your help.

Return to posts index

Chris Wright
Re: Getting Actors for my fun / non-professional short film.
on Sep 18, 2017 at 2:52:27 am

non budget would be craigslist. there are ways to get professional actors on non-sag wages 0-low but you still need to buy them food.

Return to posts index

Todd Terry
Re: Getting Actors for my fun / non-professional short film.
on Sep 18, 2017 at 3:52:05 am

Casting/talent services such as Breakdown Services will allow you to post breakdowns for low-paying or non-paying roles, and while you won't get any talent agents to respond to your casting call you still might get some actors to submit for consideration directly to you, via Actors Access. These will mostly be people looking to do it for the experience, to help build their resumes and reels, so you're not likely to get people with much or any experience... but you might get enthusiasm.

I have been casting projects for 25 years, and can say without much hesitation that actors are pretty much the most unreliable group of people around... especially if they are not paid (and long ago I was a working actor myself, so I think I'm free to say that). The stories are legion about actors who were talented and super enthusiastic about working on a low-budget or no-budget project... but then either don't show up, or even worse, stop showing up after you have already worked with them. To get decent reliability, you pretty much have to pay talent...even if it is not much, at least that way you "own" them for the day (at least to a degree). We get actors all the time begging to work on our projects "just for the experience," wanting to be a part of a "real" production. We never ever take them up on that, though... we always pay actors and pay them pretty darn well. That lesson was learned a very long time ago.

Of course, you can find free actors that work out well. I will say though that is definitely the exception, not the norm.

T2

fantasticplastic.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]