FORUMS: list search recent posts

Sports photography advice

COW Forums : Cinematography

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Joe Clark
Sports photography advice
on Aug 29, 2017 at 10:51:39 am

Hello,

looking for some advice on shooting an indoor event next week.I almost only shoot landscape and astro, but was asked to volunteer to shoot the action at this event so I would love some tips as this is one of my first sporting event shoots.

I'm fairly certain I will be using solely my 70-200 f2.8 during the bout on a Sony a7II, but I have other options for different angles like 16-35, 50mm, and 90mm.

Being that shutter speed is most important, should I be using the shutter priority? It is a well lit arena, but is a wireless flash also a good idea to use? I checked out Digital Imaging Video for help but,did not find much help. I shoot in RAW but one article I read suggested shooting JPG to speed up burst shooting/writing.

Any suggestions are greatly appreciated!
Thank you.

Return to posts index

Blaise Douros
Re: Sports photography advice
on Aug 30, 2017 at 9:57:28 pm

If you're shooting ambient light only, fast shutter will be your primary goal, with the secondary goal of not cranking your ISO too crazy high or having to go wide open so you miss focus. If they'll allow you to use off-camera flash, you should, just make sure you have adequate flashes placed around the arena, out of the eyelines of the players. At that point, your shutter will go no higher than flash sync speed, and you can probably stop down a bit to have an easier time with focus. Forget everything but the long lens unless you're going to be hanging out courtside, right in the action.

If you're going to post-process the images, shoot RAW. If you're just handing them over straight-out-of-camera, I guess you could shoot jpg since you won't have to sort through all the bursts.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]