FORUMS: list search recent posts

How is this done? Transitions...

COW Forums : Cinematography

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Mamuka Kavtelishvili
How is this done? Transitions...
on Aug 17, 2017 at 5:31:15 pm

Hello guys, i really need your help!
I saw this video and really want to know how it was done?

video: https://vimeo.com/151473439

is it shot normally on tripod and then he used after effects to do the continuous slide for layer position? and trees and kind of things that cut the scenes was done in post?

it was done with camera on slider and then he used mask for transitions?

Can you please explain me this technique?

Return to posts index

Todd Terry
Re: How is this done? Transitions...
on Aug 17, 2017 at 6:09:35 pm

I think it was done in various ways...

The source footage was shot with a high speed camera with a trucking move on a dolly (and probably pushing the dolly quite fast).

As for the transitions, I can't say with certainty how they were done (because there are several ways), but I can say how I would do them....

The first scene, just shot as-is...

The second scene, the area to the left of the transition tree, I would mask off the area to the left of the tree with a greenscreen behind it...

Between the second and third scenes, I believe the tree was shot separately and composited on top to cover the transition edit. We know it's live footage of the tree (and not just a still) because the perspective changes on the tree as it passes by.

The same technique could be done for the next three transitions as well, although those COULD be still images since the flat edges of the walls don't really appear to change perspective as they go by (maybe a little on the third).

Not a really hard shoot or post, but a LOT of good planning.

T2

fantasticplastic.com

Return to posts index

Mamuka Kavtelishvili
on Aug 17, 2017 at 6:25:51 pm

Yeah thats what i was thinking. in every transition perspective changes but i have a question...

"The first scene, just shot as-is..."
You mean shot it with moving camera? or with a tripod?

I was wondering if it works if i shot it with a normal camera and dolly slider and separately shot transition details (such a tree and other things) and then in post i will combine them perfectly.

Shooting with normal camera i mean 120fps

Thanks for your time!

Return to posts index

Rick Wise
on Aug 17, 2017 at 7:20:29 pm

I suspect a motion control camera was used so the speeds of trucking are exactly the same throughout.

Rick Wise
Cinematographer
MFA/BFA Lighting and Camera Instructor Academy of Art University
San Francisco Bay Area
http://www.RickWiseDP.com

Return to posts index

Todd Terry
on Aug 17, 2017 at 9:09:04 pm

Rick is right as usual... there was probably some motion control or at least speed control going on there.

No, none of the scenes were from a fixed point (tripod), they were all dolly shots.

These were either dolly shots (a dolly on track) or they could have been with some kind of slider rig, albeit a very long slider rail, maybe custom rigged for the scenes to get the dolly/truck move. There are full motion rigs with jibs on arms that travel on rails, everything precisely computer controlled (see the music video for the song "The One Moment" by the band OK Go for a good example...and watch the behind-the-scenes and making-of stuff, too), but that's probably way overkill for this spot which although very well done is actually technically quite simple.

As for 120fps... could be. One easy way to figure the speeds of scenes like that is to rip that video and throw it on a timeline, adjusting the speed until the action looks to be normal-real-life-speed. From that you can interpolate what the original shooting frame rate was. Maybe not exact, but you can probably get pretty darn close to it.

T2

fantasticplastic.com

Return to posts index

Mamuka Kavtelishvili
on Aug 17, 2017 at 10:53:45 pm

Thank you guys for your time!
Appreciate it!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]