FORUMS: list search recent posts

Lens, lighting a filter setup for 70's style effect

COW Forums : Cinematography

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ollie Inglis
Lens, lighting a filter setup for 70's style effect
on Dec 30, 2016 at 6:33:28 pm

Hey guys,

Was wondering what would be the best way to achieve a diffused, 70's look to video. The look I want to achieve looks like this:

How do the colours look so old school and effective? What is creating that blurry glow.

I am currently shooting on a Canon C100 Mark ii in Wide DR Mode and using a Tiffen Pro Mist 2, but it doesn't look quite so old school or blown out. See an example here (this is completely ungraded straight from the camera):

Do you think there were alterations made in Post production? Are there any spefic lighting techniques which might be useful, such as specific gels or lighting from the side?

Thanks a bunch in advance

Return to posts index

Cody Walters
Re: Lens, lighting a filter setup for 70's style effect
on Jan 3, 2017 at 6:14:33 pm

Film convert has some nice pre-sets for film emulation that would give you something similar to this. Either that or try to grade this yourself (as you have done) and match the color and luminance as close as you can. I'd recommend Resolve or Colorista by Red Giant.

Cody Walters
Director of Photography, Producer
Sparkworks Media

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
Re: Lens, lighting a filter setup for 70's style effect
on Jan 4, 2017 at 3:13:45 pm

You might also experiment with multiple layered copies adding diffusion to one, adjusting opacity on another, and playing with the blending modes.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]