FORUMS: list search recent posts

Steadicam, anyone?

COW Forums : Cinematography

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Todd Terry
Steadicam, anyone?
on Dec 9, 2016 at 9:53:33 pm

Every few months I say "I should really get rid of the Steadicam"... without ever really doing anything about it. This has gone on for years.

I think it's time to do something a little more proactive.

Steadicamming is a younger man's game. Since hitting the half-century mark a couple of years ago I find myself less likely to strap into a big heavy contraption. Plus, we just don't need a full-sized rig. Our primary camera is now a C300 which is a 4lb body... even fully tricked out with matte box, rails, remote FF and heaviest lens it still only weighs 11lb, so we just don't need to fly a full-sized camera anymore. It hasn't been out of its case in years. If I want stabilized footage now I use our tiny Osmo/Zenmuse X5 which is a lot easier on my back, or the C300 in the Ronin.

This is my fourth Steadicam, I primarily used it when shooting 35mm film. And we just don't do that anymore.

So, while I'm not quite ready to put it in the COW classifieds, or on eBay... I'd definitely be happy to talk with anyone who might be interested.

Mine is the Steadicam older "SK" model... and yes, that's Steadicam®... the real deal, not GlideCam, FlyCam, or any of the other CloneCams. The one that made Garrett Brown famous.

These aren't pictures of my rig, but ones I... ahem... "borrowed" from the internet... but they are exactly like my rig. I'd be happy to uncase it and take some real pics for an interested party....

It will fly up to 19lb, has dual gold-mount battery plates, 27" single-action Iso-Elastic arm, no tools adjustment when fully loaded, and the Master Series Vest. It'd be perfect for flying, say, an Alexa or a tricked out RED.

It also has the daylight-viewable aircraft green-screen monitor, which if I were to continue using it I'd probably hack in there and figure out a way to replace that with a more modern HD LCD monitor (which would also cut down on weight, and allow flying a heavier camera if desired).

I have all the parts, plates, bits, pieces, and tools, and a great-condition case that holds everything. I believe this guy went for about $16,000 new. I bought this rig for about half that, oh, I guess about a dozen years ago. It's worth much less than that, now, of course.

If anyone is interested, they are welcome to contact me off-forum at todd(at)fantasticplastic.com

T2

fantasticplastic.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]