FORUMS: list search recent posts

Memory card problem

COW Forums : Cinematography

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Yiorgos Moustakis
Memory card problem
on Nov 2, 2016 at 9:04:21 am

Hi,

I just returned from a shoot with a Canon 6D and Sony A7s cameras, using on both Sony SDXC 64GB class 10 cards.

Everything went fine on the shooting, but upon trying to offload the footage to my computer using my Lexar Professional CF/SD reader I came across the same problem for both cameras: Half of the clips are recognized on the card and can be copied on the disk but the other half are not available, giving the error message that card is unreadable. I used ShotPutPro5, Hedge for Mac and Finder copy paste, and the results were the same with all methods. At the middle of the card the transfer stops.

The way that I found around that, was to put the SD into the camera that was shot with and make the transfer from the camera's usb. Luckily this worked...

The question is, does anyone have a clue as to what is causing this problem?

Technical:
The memory cards have been used a few times only, purchased 2 years ago
Macbook running El Capitan

Thanks

Yiorgos Moustakis
Director | Cinematographer
https://vimeo.com/yiorgosmoustakis

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
Re: Memory card problem
on Nov 2, 2016 at 4:29:11 pm

How were the cards formatted in the first place? It almost sounds like you're running up against a partition.

Return to posts index

Yiorgos Moustakis
on Nov 2, 2016 at 9:30:48 pm

Each card was formatted in the camera that was using it, just before the recording started.

I read somewhere that cameras actually don't format properly the cards and it was suggested to use an SD formatting utility by the "SD Association".

Return to posts index

Cody Walters
on Nov 3, 2016 at 6:05:44 pm

This is strange and interesting. You formatted both cards before the shoot. I'm assuming you have two different cards, one for each camera. And there were no issues at the end of the shoot? Was a camera turned off while the recording was taking place? If not, then the only thing I can think of it that this has to be the card. The fact that you have two completely different cameras with different folder structures unable to read to your computer, has to be the card. Maybe the is ghost data on these cards that just isn't getting wiped when you format.

Cody Walters
Houston Video Production
Houston Wedding Videographer

Adobe Creative Cloud
Canon C100, 6D, 60D

Return to posts index

Yiorgos Moustakis
on Nov 3, 2016 at 7:26:28 pm

Yes, two different cards, formatted separately in each camera and cold only read half the data from my card reader.
I am also suspecting formatting issues. What is your experience, is there a difference using an utility like the SD formatter application from the SD Association, than just formatting in camera? People claim in camera formatting is actually not really formatting. Any other formatting (or pre-formating) tips?

Yiorgos Moustakis
Director | Cinematographer
http://vimeo.com/yiorgosmoustakis

Return to posts index

Gary Huff
on Nov 4, 2016 at 12:19:41 pm
Last Edited By Gary Huff on Nov 5, 2016 at 4:01:21 am

[Yiorgos Moustakis] "What is your experience, is there a difference using an utility like the SD formatter application from the SD Association, than just formatting in camera?"

There is zero difference.

Why would you suspect formatting issues? Formatting issues would have made the footage unobtainable. Let's take a look at your description of the problem:

[Yiorgos Moustakis] "Everything went fine on the shooting, but upon trying to offload the footage to my computer using my Lexar Professional CF/SD reader I came across the same problem for both cameras"

And then what did you do?

[Yiorgos Moustakis] "The way that I found around that, was to put the SD into the camera that was shot with and make the transfer from the camera's usb."
You were having problems reading files from the card in your Lexar reader, and then you put your card into a different card reader (i.e. your camera) and then it worked fine. Doesn't sound like formatting issues to me.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]