FORUMS: list search recent posts

Greenscreen & FS7: 4K XVAC vs 1080 ProRes HQ

COW Forums : Cinematography

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Martin Maslo
Greenscreen & FS7: 4K XVAC vs 1080 ProRes HQ
on Oct 31, 2016 at 3:52:35 pm

Hi there,

I've read a lot of recommandations for shooting and pulling a greenscreen key with Sony's FS7.
But I didn't find an answer to that question: 4K XVAC or 1080 ProRes HQ?
I read (and hopefully understood) some pros and cons like smaller noise samples in 4K, better color samping in ProRes, etc.
But has anyone ever tried both compressions and compared the results? What's your opinions?

I also wasn't able to make a decision regarding the color space.
Some people seem to love Slog3, others say it's better to use Hypergamma, other "NO! Not Hypergamma!", etc...
I'm used to color grade Slog3 and love it for "normal" shots. But I'd also be afraid to use it in a greenbox.

I can't remember researching days about all this, when I pulled my first keys 15 years ago from squeezed DV-PAL stuff. ?

Thanks for your help!
Martin

Return to posts index

Cody Walters
Re: Greenscreen & FS7: 4K XVAC vs 1080 ProRes HQ
on Oct 31, 2016 at 6:42:48 pm

Hi Martin,

The FS7 will record 4.2.2 internally. I suppose you could record RAW with an external recorder, but I find 4.2.2 fantastic for most work. Having a record for this is even better and would reduce a little noise, but I don't think it would be that noticeable. It is nice working with the ProRes codec rather than the compressed file. If I were you, I'd rent the pro-res recorder. They aren't much to rent and you would have nice clean footage to work with within a pro res wrapper.

Cody Walters
Houston Video Production
Houston Wedding Videographer

Adobe Creative Cloud
Canon C100, 6D, 60D

Return to posts index

Martin Maslo
on Nov 2, 2016 at 5:17:15 pm

Thanks for your reply, even though it didn't really answer my question. ?
We ended up recording 4K XAVC since we didn't have the ProRes Upgrade or an external recorder.
But I'm still wondering about that and that religion-like colorspace question...

Return to posts index

Cody Walters
on Nov 3, 2016 at 6:00:13 pm

The color space is 4.2.2, regardless if you are recording internally or externally. Unless you use the raw recorder which will do 4.4.4. So to answer your question which the two choices you have, it doesn't matter in the sense of color space. It's a question of compression vs noise.

I've been recording 4K ProRes 422HQ for most jobs and cutting in a 1080 timeline and have found the results to be great. We did some testing between the internal codec and ProRes, honestly it was hard to see the difference. The XAVC codec works really well. I like the ProRes because it is easier on our machines to handle. I hope that's closer to answering your question :)

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]