FORUMS: list search recent posts

Are there MFT adapters for this old Canon ENG lens?

COW Forums : Cinematography

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Tim Wilde
Are there MFT adapters for this old Canon ENG lens?
on Oct 21, 2016 at 4:04:18 pm

One such lens that I have has the following engraved on it: J8X6B. 6-48mm No 10278

Google has revealed a few references to Canon "B4" lenses but there's no "4" after the B on my lenses, so I don't know what the B4 is about or whether my particular lenses are adaptable to a G4 micro-4/3 camera.

Any guidance or suggestions re this will be greatly appreciated, which you can redeem at Starbucks for a perplexed response. ?

Return to posts index

Alan Lloyd
Re: Are there MFT adapters for this old Canon ENG lens?
on Oct 21, 2016 at 11:23:29 pm

Can you post a picture or pictures showing (a) the mount end of the lens, and (b) the cable connecting the camera and lens? That will help people figure out which mount you have, and thus, whether an adapter is available.

Return to posts index

Tim Wilde
on Oct 22, 2016 at 5:54:05 pm

Turns out I have two such lenses.

One is attached to a JVC KY27 Betacam, and it is the J8x6B, 6-48mm, pictured here.

Here's a shot of the mounting hardware on lens and JVC.

The other lens is a J13x9B4, 9-117mm (ah!, there's an instance of a 4 after the B). It has a 2x extender on it, for what that's worth. Also engraved on it are the words "Canon Macro TV zoom", which I presume means it's got macro focusing capability.

Here's a shot of its mount.

I'd swear I read somewhere about using a MFT-to-Nikon lens adapter for these Canons, but the bayonet cutouts in my $20 K&F Concept adapter for Nikon G lenses are much shallower than what is required by the Canons. Maybe machining was involved, or maybe I misread.

I welcome all comments about these lenses and the feasibility of using them with a Panasonic GH4 micro-four-thirds camera.

If it is feasible, has anyone found a way to provide power to the zoom? (I realize I can probably find pinouts for the connector by searching, but an existing recipe is always preferable.)

Thank you, again!

Return to posts index

Alan Lloyd
on Oct 22, 2016 at 6:51:56 pm

Have a look here:

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/994985-REG/fotodiox_b4_mft_p_adapter...

There is a power cable listed among the optional accessories.

As a side note, I used to have one of those J13 x 9 B$ lenses (came with my first Betacam) - nice glass, though the non-threaded front was a pain (I had a Series 9 mount lens hood) and the wide angle adapter weighed a ton, but was zoom-through and did not bend the corners.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]