FORUMS: list search recent posts

Odd raw footage -- liney with motion.

COW Forums : Cinematography

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Anastasia Antonova
Odd raw footage -- liney with motion.
on Oct 8, 2016 at 10:17:03 am

Hi guys,

I have recently been using the canon xf300 for my work and cannot understand why my footage has weird lines whenever there is motion (both by the camera and by subjects)? I am looking at the raw footage as well as when i export it compressed. See screenshots below. How do I resolve this?

-Anastasia

2.png

Return to posts index

Todd Terry
Re: Odd raw footage -- liney with motion.
on Oct 8, 2016 at 4:35:46 pm

That comes from interlacing. You are seeing those lines because the original footage was shot interlaced, but now you are using it in a progressive project and/or viewing it on a progressive computer monitor. For example, taking original footage shot at 60i but using it in a 24p (or 30p) project... where you will definitely see the interlacing lines.

If you shoot interlaced footage, you will almost always see interlacing lines except when you shoot interlaced, edit on an interlaced timeline, export as an interlaced project, and view the footage on a "real" television monitor (not a computer monitor). Then it will look fine and line-free.

[Anastasia Antonova] "How do I resolve this?"

Well it depends on what look you are going for and what kind of projects that you are doing. If you are working in a 60i environment and your projects are destined for broadcast TV (or otherwise will be presented on real TV monitors), then you don't have to do anything. The end result will actually look fine... it just looks bad for now on your progressive computer monitor.

But if you are doing anything in the progressive world (such a working on a 24p timeline, trying to maintain a cinematic look, producing anything that is destined for web viewing or any other kind of computer viewing), then by far the best route is to shoot progressive (either 24p or 30p, depending on both your project parameters and the look that you are going for). I honestly can't even remember the last time I shot any interlaced footage. I'm sure it's been quite a few years.

T2

fantasticplastic.com

Return to posts index

Anastasia Antonova
on Oct 11, 2016 at 12:01:13 pm

This was super helpful!! Thank you so much!! Not a super urgent question so feel free to ignore but it was odd because I was viewing the raw footage but then I put it into premiere and it was fine (on the same computer monitor). I'm wondering if it was the program I was viewing it through (VLC) that was making the interlaced footage look strange?

Return to posts index

Todd Terry
on Oct 11, 2016 at 3:23:04 pm

In this case Premiere is doing a good job of showing you what the footage would look like on a broadcast monitor, ergo you do not see those scan lines when it is within Premiere like you see when viewing it via VLC. You're probably working on an interlaced Premiere timeline, so it looks right. If you were working on a progressive Premiere timeline, you might see those lines.

As I said the lines are not a problem if you are working in an interlaced project and your end result is destined for either broadcast television or other viewing on "real" television monitors. But if not (either of those things), then the scan lines will show up.

VLC will be a good benchmark as to what it would look like on normal progressive monitors, web distribution, YouTube, etc.

T2

fantasticplastic.com

Return to posts index

John Fishback
on Dec 27, 2016 at 10:21:49 pm

You can use the free JES Deinterlacer app if you know you'll be exporting for use on computer monitors and need de-interlaced footage.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]