FORUMS: list search recent posts

Monitor recommendations request

COW Forums : Cinematography

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Suzin Daly
Monitor recommendations request
on Jul 11, 2016 at 5:36:39 pm

I would like to get, if possible, recommendations for monitors. I am using Canon Mark 5D III and will be using Canon C100 II in a few months. I am on the beginner side. I have had some wonderful recommendations from audio people on this forum on shot gun mic. I got great advice, so now I turn to those who have the expertise in using monitors in film making.

I would like it to have HDMI [I would like to be able to attach another monitor], wave forms, histogram, peaking and I have seen some say false colour, I am not sure what that means. I am learning. What would be important to me that I can trust what I see in the monitor would be close to what I would see on the timeline. Anything else I should know about that a monitor can do to help that I am not aware of, open to know about it.

Return to posts index

Eric Strand
Re: Monitor recommendations request
on Jul 11, 2016 at 8:32:27 pm
Last Edited By Eric Strand on Jul 11, 2016 at 8:32:43 pm

Suzin, there are a few main players in this field. Atomos' monitors/recorders, VideoDevices Pix monitors/recorders, SmallHD monitors, and Blackmagic Design's Video Assist. There are obviously others but these are the ones I see very often. Atomos I think is the cheapest, around $1K, then VideoDevices, then SmallHD. SmallHD is renowned for their monitors but again you pay for what you get. I've used the Atomos Ninja Blade most often, the screen comes calibrated so what you see is what you'll get, has all those features like waveform, peaking, etc. It sips battery, especially if you're not recording with it and only using it as a monitor. It also has an HDMI out so you can connect it to another monitor. It is plastic however and has the cheapest feel of the ones I've mentioned. We've had a couple issues with it needing to be restarted in run and gun situations but overall has performed very well.

I would recommend renting different monitors if you can and seeing which one you like. LensProToGo.com and LensRentals.com are two rental places.

@ericstrand11

Return to posts index

Suzin Daly
on Jul 11, 2016 at 9:03:26 pm

Thank you for your information and rental places, it is helpful. Renting is a great idea. At least I have some names to check out. smallHD is right here in NC. I can actually go to their manufacturing company.

Thanks for taking the time for impute

Best Sz

Return to posts index

Gary Huff
on Jul 13, 2016 at 4:05:09 pm
Last Edited By Gary Huff on Jul 13, 2016 at 4:07:22 pm

[Suzin Daly] " smallHD is right here in NC. I can actually go to their manufacturing company. "

I think the SmallHD 501 is exactly what you need. It's large enough without being too much, has a great screen, good tools, and uses your LP-E6 batteries from your 5D. Get refurbished if you can, and add a Sun Hood to it and you'll be good to go.

[Suzin Daly] " What would be important to me that I can trust what I see in the monitor would be close to what I would see on the timeline."

You really can't do that without being able to calibrate on your own. I would do tests at first, you may find it's close enough, but you should always, instead, manually white balance if you want to be sure that the colors will be accurate, or, at the very least, toggle between 3200 and 5500k when under tungsten or daylight balanced light.

Return to posts index

Suzin Daly
on Jul 13, 2016 at 4:31:30 pm

Thanks for taking the time to give impute, will definitely look into your recommendation

Sz

Return to posts index

Aaron Star
on Jul 14, 2016 at 7:13:41 pm

When you shoot DSLR and do not record to an external recorder, the DSLR shuts off the HDMI output. Maybe they corrected this on the your DSLR. The C100 will output HDMI and record at the same time.

When I used to work with the C100, I would use the onboard screen for handheld operation, and a large HD monitor on a stand for tripod / video village work. A large HP dreamcolor on a stand with the C100 is a really nice way to work, as you can instantly judge soft focus, and color accuracy. There are other manufactures of high quality 10-bit monitors, and if you go super pro end those monitors will include scopes and what not. A monitor and laptop rig on a stand/cart running BM ultrascope would seemlike a nice way to work, but I have never used it.

You did not really say you needed a small monitor, so I thought I would just add this.

Return to posts index

Suzin Daly
on Jul 14, 2016 at 7:38:30 pm

Thank you for your add. All information does help. It's an ongoing learning process for me. I am not always very precise, my bad. It's the small monitor at this time. Good to have your information, someday maybe, I won't have to ask, you have given me the information.

Thanks for taking the time
Sz

Return to posts index

Gary Huff
on Jul 17, 2016 at 1:55:20 am

[Aaron Star] "When you shoot DSLR and do not record to an external recorder, the DSLR shuts off the HDMI output."

There is no way for the camera to differentiate a monitor from an external recorder. Her 5D Mark III will be fine.

Return to posts index

Aaron Star
on Jul 19, 2016 at 3:55:14 am

This may not have been worded right. Most Canon DSLRs will kill the HDMI when you hit record, and record to the internal card. You are correct when you say that monitor and external recorder are the same when hanging off the HDMI port. It is something to test depending on how you are planning to record. The C100 runs a continuous HDMI feed even when recording to the internal card.

Return to posts index

Gary Huff
on Jul 19, 2016 at 12:31:45 pm

[Aaron Star] "This may not have been worded right. Most Canon DSLRs will kill the HDMI when you hit record, and record to the internal card."

That is correct, however she explicitly stated that her Canon DSLR was a 5D Mark III. It is well known that the 5D Mark III can be used with an external recorder.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]