FORUMS: list search recent posts

Building a DIY camera.

COW Forums : Cinematography

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Miles Andy Thatch
Building a DIY camera.
on Jun 5, 2016 at 12:41:28 am

This is a project is an attempt of a proof of concept and is mean primarily for experimentation purposes but if it works then it might be used in a gig.

I need to find a camera (or a sensor) that can be recorded onto an external source. In this case we're talking about generally a portable computer (laptop or a custom built pc that runs off a battery). I need a sensor/camera that that can use interchangeable optics like a DSLR. The purposed of this experiment is to see if I can make a recording unit that can match the quality of a fair DSLR camera with Video recording but bypass the limitations of a DSLK such as filesize limitation which limits recording time due to the fat32 memory format and explore the alternatives of mounting an actual DSLR and recording it's HDMI signal.

Knowing that for around $1300 I can get a lowest grade pro camcorder (based on what I've seen, I don't know if there are cheaper solutions)
And Knowing that for around $600 I can get a DSLR with video Recording Capabilities, I need to see if there are alternatives that I can buy to get a decent video quality and ability to change lenses.

To put things in perspective, imagine a laptop with a webcam - technically it's now a recording camera. Now if the webcam had a fair sized sensor and could use DSLR Lenses that is technically all that I would need to start basic amateur shooting.

As I said, if the price of such a device (even excluding the lenses) would cost over $500 or $600 then I might as well invest into a used t3i and record HDMI from that.

My Computer:
Windows 7 64bit

HP XW8200
Intel Xeon (2 single processors)
4GB DDR3 memory
Nvidia Gforce Gt 220

Return to posts index

Chris Wright
Re: Building a DIY camera.
on Jun 5, 2016 at 3:46:51 am

you'll be interested to hear that even if they didn't use fat32, their firmware disables recording to not be taxed as camcorders.

You could find a GH2, GH3 no recording limit with lens for @400-500

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]