FORUMS: list search recent posts

Tips for a SLOOOOOOOW jib move?

COW Forums : Cinematography

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Tom Galli
Tips for a SLOOOOOOOW jib move?
on May 21, 2016 at 2:53:44 am

Aloha all!

I need to simulate a subjective point of view of a person sinking in quicksand. I've got a CobraCrane 1 jib for the job, but I need a way to ensure a constant-yet-slow movement for the entire shot. It needs to dip from an elevation of about 6' down to ground level, and take as long as 10 minutes making the trip. I'm not at all confident that my calibrated elbow can manage something that slow.

I've got some ridiculously complex ideas on the matter, but I'm hoping someone with more experience than I has a practical solution. Thoughts?

Mahalo,
Tom G

The difference between theory and reality is that, in theory, there is no difference between theory and reality.

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
Re: Tips for a SLOOOOOOOW jib move?
on May 23, 2016 at 1:54:49 pm

ideally, your jib would be electronically driven for this, or you'd use a programmable motorizes slider.

If you have to work with only what you have on hand, you could cobble together a timed braking device. That is, a friction or clockwork-like arrangement to get the steady descent you need.

Back before there were cheap electronic timers, in my model airplane hobby, you made a sort of timer by packing a variable-length drinking straw section with a string and silly putty. The putty would let the string out, (under spring tension), at a predictable slow rate, to trip a switch or valve. You need to come up with something equivalent. Like a leaking sandbag or water jug, on the counterweight. Or a drag-control system; two or more large washers, with a lot of contact area, and a sticky substance in-between the washers to add resistance.

Or, a stepper motor with a variable speed control, connected to the jib with a belt.

Return to posts index

Tom Galli
on Oct 19, 2016 at 1:47:31 am

10704_video1476840439.mp4.zip

Approximately 4 months later, here it is!

Yep, those are 16mm reels. Turns out 16mm spindles are made to last!

Rope, pulleys, sawhorse, and assorted bits of hardware from City Mill.

Drawer pul from the side of the road.

The difference between theory and reality is that, in theory, there is no difference between theory and reality.

Return to posts index

Todd Terry
on Oct 19, 2016 at 2:43:11 am

Nice and inventive, I like things like that.

In my house our usual description for that is "...a complicated system of winches and pulleys..." an exact phrase I've heard countless times.

One tip though, you should upload that to the COW as a video. More people will see it that way where they can instantly and easily just click and watch... frankly very very few people will actually download a file from here, especially a .zip file.

Good work.

T2

fantasticplastic.com

Return to posts index

Tom Galli
on Oct 19, 2016 at 3:15:50 am

"A complicated system of winches and pulleys" sounds more professional than "the Contraption" to be sure!

As far as displaying the video, I clicked the button that said "file upload" and followed the prompts. How would one go about doing as you describe? My foruming skills are rather basic, I'm afraid.

Return to posts index

Todd Terry
on Oct 19, 2016 at 3:35:50 am

[Tom Galli] "How would one go about doing as you describe?"

Hmmm... well maybe you can't. I've looked and I no longer see a method to upload videos for COW hosting. In the past, in the row of icons above where you type a reply (the same place you found the "file upload" icon), there used to be a video upload icon (it looked like a little movie camera). That would allow video uploads where clips were hosted on the COW. That does not seem to be there anymore.

I suspect that might have been removed due to an overwhelming amount of user-posted videos eating up valuable data space, and the fact that YouTube is pretty much the norm for video hosting now. I did find one mention that said that was now limited to forum leaders/hosts (and although even though I am one, I could not find how to do it).

Looks like now the COW is encouraging video uploads to YouTube or Vimeo for the hosting, and embedding them within COW posts.

Or maybe I'm just having a brain-fog night and can't find how to do it... but it honestly doesn't seem to be there as an option any more.

Probably shouldn't have brought it up... but I just know how leery people are of downloading unknown files, especially zipped ones. And many people are also just plain lazy and just won't bother to do it (I know I certainly am).

T2

fantasticplastic.com

Return to posts index

Cody Walters
on Oct 19, 2016 at 10:50:01 pm

Hi Tom,

What is the purpose of your shot and how are you using it? A 10 minute shot sure is long and I'm curious why.

I agree with Mark, you need to go with an electronic motor to do this properly. The set-up depends on the camera you would be using. If you are using something light-weight like an a7s, 5d, you could use a 5' kessler slider with the second shooter. Or you could use the rhino motion to achieve something similar. Shooting a wider lens will also make the move seem bigger, so could potentially get away with 5'. But then again, I'm not sure how this is being used in your video.

Cody Walters
Houston Video Production
Houston Wedding Videographer

Adobe Creative Cloud
Canon C100, 6D, 60D

Return to posts index

Tom Galli
on Oct 19, 2016 at 11:21:48 pm

[Cody Walters] "What is the purpose of your shot and how are you using it? A 10 minute shot sure is long and I'm curious why."

The purpose is for the viewer to assume the role of the victim. You have lost, and are treated to a gloating antagonist as you slowly sink from sight. 10 minutes was an initial estimate; readthrus put the actual time closer to 7:30.

The wide angle isn't really an option in this case; the point is for this to look as subjectively realistic as possible.

The idea of a slider is intriguing; just stand it on end and use it as an elevator? It might take out a little of the wiggle that the jib introduces. I may be able to use that as a justification for a future purchase!

Return to posts index

Cody Walters
on Oct 19, 2016 at 11:56:00 pm

If you orient the slider vertical (and be sure you do this safely), I think that would give you the most realistic move. The jib has a natural arch, it pushes slightly forward and then comes back. The slider moves just like you would if you were sinking, strait down.

Set the slider with a motor vertically with a duration of 10 minutes and it will capture it perfectly.

I'm still not totally clear how you are using this. Is this for a game or virtual reality?

Return to posts index

Tom Galli
on Oct 20, 2016 at 2:04:32 am

At the moment, it's a proof of concept.

I think it would play well in VR, but that's a few projects down the way.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]