FORUMS: list search recent posts

which gear, for you, plays a great part in a "from-amateur-to-pro" transfer??

COW Forums : Cinematography

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Xi Pan
which gear, for you, plays a great part in a "from-amateur-to-pro" transfer??
on May 15, 2016 at 4:17:29 pm

is there any gear that has amazed you because it allows you to do something that you thought only pros can do??(cameras, lenses, accessories, smart IoT stuff, softwares... etc. )

I'm currently writing a thesis about videography technology and looking forward to your ideas towards current tech!!

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
Re: which gear, for you, plays a great part in a "from-amateur-to-pro" transfer??
on May 16, 2016 at 6:31:40 pm

It's not the tool, in the end, but the skill of the person employing it, that makes something "pro" vs. "amateur".

Return to posts index

Rick Wise
Re: which gear, for you, plays a great part in a "from-amateur-to-pro" transfer??
on May 17, 2016 at 2:17:13 am

Well, gee, that's a moment for a hoot and a hollar. But I think I'm being a bit cynical, after so many years of watching former clients in the advertising and corporate world think that with the "new" technology, all they had to do was to hire a kid out of high school to run the camera and everything would be amazingly good. Eventually those who were still in business figured out, we need someone who has an eye for color, for composition, for lighting, for ways to move-place the camera. Strange but true.

There are changes that matter. The newest cameras allow us to shoot at impossibly low light levels. There is an increasingly effective panoply of LED lights, both broads and Fresnels, that can run on batteries for long times and are color correct. I am sure I'm leaving out other aspects my colleagues here can fill in.

The history of lighting and cameras is filled with huge dustbins of old technology that now costs too much and does too little. There is an old curse that goes something like, "May you live in interesting times." I think it's a blessing, and we do just that.

Rick Wise
Cinematographer
MFA/BFA Lighting and Camera Instructor Academy of Art University
San Francisco Bay Area
http://www.RickWiseDP.com

Return to posts index

Xi Pan
on May 18, 2016 at 6:39:17 am

Good point! & nice website

Return to posts index

Duke Sweden
on Jun 7, 2016 at 7:39:25 pm

I don't think the other guys got the point of your question. I believe you're asking from the perspective of someone with vision, talent and drive but no money, so he has to make due with an entry level Nikon. Well, to answer your question from my viewpoint it would have to be the Atomos Ninja 2 (and the rest of their line) which takes these lower level cameras and gives them the ability to shoot uncompressed ProRes HQ or DNxHD codecs.

So you can start with that. Hope your paper isn't due yet ;-)

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]