FORUMS: list search recent posts

Can someone recommend a microphone that works well with a Canon 5D MK II as well as a laptop or desktop?

COW Forums : Cinematography

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Brian Johnston
Can someone recommend a microphone that works well with a Canon 5D MK II as well as a laptop or desktop?
on Apr 6, 2016 at 4:11:44 pm

I need to get a new microphone that will work well with my 5D MK II to shoot some instructional videos. The Rode Videomic has terrible background hiss because of something about the “auto gain control” you can’t disable on the 5D or so they claim (love to know why they show a 7D in their promotional materials for exactly this mic!).

Do you know if either of these will work or how I can tell?

http://www.amazon.de/Professionelle-Omnidirektionales-Lavalier-Wireless-Mik...

http://www.amazon.de/BOYA-Kabellos-Mikorfon-Camcorder-LF479/dp/B00MFDNQSS/r...

Ideally I’d like something in that style and I’d like to work equally well plugged directly into my camera or plugged into a desktop or laptop (I also want to do some screen cast instructional videos). I need really good, clean, clear spoken audio.

If these aren't the correct things please suggest anything else. I need to get going on this project asap and it would save me a ton of time, effort and work if I could just get decent on camera sound.

That’s about it.

Thanks.

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
Re: Can someone recommend a microphone that works well with a Canon 5D MK II as well as a laptop or desktop?
on Apr 7, 2016 at 8:02:42 pm

Do a deeper read on the instructions for the Magic Lantern software you added to the camera: it has specific settings to disable auto-audio gain for an external mic. You don't necessarily need to drop any more money, if you read the directions first:-)

Return to posts index

Brian Johnston
Re: Can someone recommend a microphone that works well with a Canon 5D MK II as well as a laptop or desktop?
on Apr 7, 2016 at 8:13:11 pm

I have read the directions and I have disabled the auto gain and I was still extremely unimpressed with the results.

But that said, I would still like to be able to work without using magic lantern always. Magic lantern is great but I feel that it ads way too much unnecessary complication, settings, controls, etc. for situations where I can get more than adequate quality video for my needs without using magic lantern.

Return to posts index

Rick Wise
on Apr 7, 2016 at 8:44:50 pm

I haven't used the Shure VP83F LensHopper Shotgun Microphone with Integrated Flash Recorder but it appears to be pretty darned good. You both record to the camera and also to it's own card. The latter is the one you want to use, the former is to sync up this double-record. Shure makes a cheaper model without its own recording chip, but that puts you right back in the middle of your problem.

You will also want software to sync up the two sound tracks quickly, which is probably Plural Eyes.

Rick Wise
Cinematographer
MFA/BFA Lighting and Camera Instructor Academy of Art University
San Francisco Bay Area
http://www.RickWiseDP.com

Return to posts index

Brian Johnston
on Apr 7, 2016 at 8:53:15 pm

Hi Rick,

Thanks for the ideas.

Plural Eyes looks cool but I have very little problem with the auto sync in Final Cut Pro X. I know everybody hates FCP X but for my needs most of the time is it totally fine one stop shopping.

Thanks.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]