FORUMS: list search recent posts

Shooting through windshields - An OBVIOUS tip...

COW Forums : Cinematography

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Todd Terry
Shooting through windshields - An OBVIOUS tip...
on Mar 28, 2016 at 4:18:13 pm

Now and then I'll try something that I should have been doing for years and then feel dumb that I haven't been doing all along... and had an instance like that a couple of weeks ago so I thought I'd pass it along.

Like many of you, every now and then I'll have to shoot people in cars. Windshields are always a pain in the rump, and I've always just fought window reflections just with polarizers... which work to a degree, but not great.

I had to shoot a series of three commercials, all people in cars. I tried something that in hindsight is so obvious, that I've always thought "Eh, that won't work so well," or "Ehh, that won't look natural."

It's simply taking a trick from the old "Adam-12" production manual and shooting with a big black griff over the car to block the reflections....

This is such an obvious solution, but somehow in 30 years of shooting I just never tried it... it was pretty unbelievable how well it worked, and everyone looked quite natural.

It actually looked so clean that I considered putting some fake reflections back in. If the cars had been moving much I probably would have, adding some moving reflections to help sell it. In this case though they were all supposed to be parked or trapped in a creeping traffic jam, so we decided to keep it clean.

I will never shoot through a windshield with just a polarizer again, this was just too easy and worked so well.

Just my two cents for the day.

Oh... if you want to watch the actual results, you can here http://fantasticplastic.com/portfolio/news053.html

T2

fantasticplastic.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]