FORUMS: list search recent posts

Suggestions on what lighting gear to rent

COW Forums : Cinematography

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Thomas Wolf
Suggestions on what lighting gear to rent
on Mar 20, 2016 at 11:04:43 pm

Hi there guys, right now I am in the midst of pre-pro for a project with a micro budget and I am trying to figure out what gear we need to rent. To give you guys an idea, the majority of our shoot is going to take place in the forest - the thing is, I don't think we are going to have enough money in the budget to rent a generator and enough wire to put that noise making machine far away from our mics - so I was thinking battery powered LED lights. Now I have not exactly had much experience with lights of that matter - which is where I am seeking advice from you guys:

Are there any battery powered LED lights (or any kind of battery powered lights for the sake of it) that can mach up intensity to that of a 1k and or a 2K Tungsten light? If so, where can I find these guys - where can I rent them? (preferably online)

Thanks!

Return to posts index

Bob Roberts
Re: Suggestions on what lighting gear to rent
on Mar 21, 2016 at 1:14:20 pm

Believe it or not you can use a couple of dual mantle Kerosene lanterns and a sheet of shiny foam board insulation from Home Depot for a nice big light source. No electricity needed.

Return to posts index

Rick Wise
on Mar 21, 2016 at 6:03:36 pm

Terrific idea, Bob. I didn't find a kerosene version, but did one that uses Coleman gas: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00C4ZJ8RU/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_S_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&.... The "powerhouse" version puts out more light than the much cheaper regular model, it appears.

Rick Wise
Cinematographer
MFA/BFA Lighting and Camera Instructor Academy of Art University
San Francisco Bay Area
http://www.RickWiseDP.com

Return to posts index

Thomas Wolf
on Mar 21, 2016 at 11:55:17 pm

Great idea guys - Now, how bright do you think I can get these things? As I said, ideally - I would love to be working with 1K and 2Ks.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]