FORUMS: list search recent posts

TV commercials what camreas

COW Forums : Cinematography

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ali Quintana
TV commercials what camreas
on Jan 4, 2016 at 4:52:49 am

What type of cameras are being used for TV commercials. Of course, I know there must be many different cameras and I am sure not all by far are shot on ALEXA.

I produced several TV commercial for our local Tv here. Sometimes I use red, Blackmagic and even DSLR (with ninja blade for proress). Prefer not to use DSLR's internal codec H264.

Would be interested to know what other producers use for TV commercials though.

Return to posts index

Todd Terry
Re: TV commercials what camreas
on Jan 4, 2016 at 5:24:47 am

Well, you'll find commercials shot with all kinds of cameras.

True, for really high-end (national) spots, there will be a fair number of Alexa shoots. Lots of RED shoots, too. I shoot almost nothing but broadcast commercials, and right now I'm shooting pretty much exclusively with the Canon C300.

I also use really good lenses, even a great camera format is no good unless the glass is great. I use the same lenses now (Leitz-Panavision superspeed primes) that I used when I was shooting spots on 35mm film (haven't done that in a while).

T2

fantasticplastic.com

Return to posts index

Ali Quintana
on Jan 6, 2016 at 12:42:36 am

Canon C 300, great.

That would probably be in Proress at 1080p at 23.976 fps?

Return to posts index

Todd Terry
on Jan 6, 2016 at 12:56:11 am

I don't do anything in ProRes, ever. (well, unless someone gives me some ProRes stock footage they need me to use)

We shoot with the C300PL, edit with its native Canon .MXF files... our edit systems are all PC-based machines running Adobe CSC, they are all Matrox MX02 machines (except one older Matrox AXIO), so for masters we create uncompressed 24p Matrox AVI files... for broadcast outlets we create whatever flavor of 60i files the individual broadcaster needs, which are usually mpeg2 files. For computer use such as YouTube we create 24p H.264 .mp4 files.

T2

fantasticplastic.com

Return to posts index

Emre Tufekcioglu
on Jan 7, 2016 at 1:31:04 am

Its interesting to hear you prefer Canon .MXF files Todd and AVI out. I have nothing against it, it just seems ProRez seems to be more common choice. I have an Alexa in house and only shoot ProRez and keep the same workflow all the way to the end.

Any strengths or weaknesses to that workflow?

Return to posts index

Todd Terry
on Jan 7, 2016 at 3:41:11 am

[Emre Tufekcioglu] "Any strengths or weaknesses to that workflow?"

I'd say it sounds like it's working well for you, so that's the way to go there.

Why do we do it the way we do? Well, the .MXF files are in the native format that the Canon C300 generates, so it just makes sense to work directly with those. To use any other format, we'd just have to convert the .MXF files to something else, which would be pointless (and probably a little bit degrading), and since our edit systems natively handle .MXF files fine, there's no need to do anything else.

We don't deal with any ProRes because, well, we're not an Apple house, we're a PC house. We can use ProRes in the occasional instance that someone gives it to us, but we don't generate any.

For everything past shooting, in the post process we use Matrox AVI files for a number of reasons. Firstly, our machines all have Matrox guts, either Matrox MX02 or AXIO cards and accelerators, so that's the most friendly and native format for them. We generate elements, pieces, and archival masters as uncompressed Matrox AVI files and that's as good as it can get in our place. True, the files are useless to anyone who does not have Matrox cards in their computers, but for internal use it's fine and allows the best quality we can work with. The combination of the Matrox AVI files on Matrox machines allows easy work, since the accelerators usually mean no rendering. I'd have to pile up several stacks of HD files and throw on a fair number of filters or such to force rendering, and even then it's very fast. Only Magic Bullet filters are guaranteed to require rendering (which I hate, since I love Magic Bullet), but those are pretty quick, too.

Of course, our final deliverables are in whatever format and flavor the end user prefers. So while our archival masters are generally 24p (or rather, 23.976) Matrox AVI files, our deliverables are generally 60i mpeg2 files for television stations, or something like 24p H.262 .mp4 files for online usage.

I'd say if whatever you are doing is working for ya, don't rock the boat.

T2

fantasticplastic.com

Return to posts index

Emre Tufekcioglu
on Jan 7, 2016 at 3:00:19 pm

Thanks Todd,

It's always good to know what other people are doing to see if we can draw benefits from their experience.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]