FORUMS: list search recent posts

Need advice on doing a macro dolly shot

COW Forums : Cinematography

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ken S.
Need advice on doing a macro dolly shot
on Dec 16, 2015 at 6:01:23 pm

I am wanting to do a macro dolly video shot, have anyone tried doing it with a dslr. You can see an example shot in the video below at 1:30 into the video. Was this done with a macro video camera with auto focus or focus pulled manually? Would a short slider work with a similar setup? Plan to use a canon 70d APS-C with 105mm macro, Or a Nikon APS-C with 105mm micro. Any suggestions or helpful tips? Thanks

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
Re: Need advice on doing a macro dolly shot
on Dec 17, 2015 at 8:08:30 pm

Might not be a dolly at all: might be a wider shot, cropped and panned in post.

Return to posts index

Todd Terry
on Dec 17, 2015 at 9:47:32 pm
Last Edited By Todd Terry on Dec 17, 2015 at 9:48:58 pm

Oh it's definitely a dolly shot... the foreground and central planes move at different rates, so that shows you it is a dolly.

Actually, as it is side-to-side motion, technically it is a truck rather than a dolly... but yes, a dolly move.

Yes that's a slider move, but it is a very VERY tiny move as you might imagine. There are little basically "micro sliders" that are made just for this type of photography... they are usually geared so that you have good control over the move. It's not something that we really ever do so I can't point you to a specific brand/make/model/vendor, but that technology is in place and it works exact as how you imagined.

T2

fantasticplastic.com

Return to posts index

Rich Rubasch
on Dec 18, 2015 at 2:18:03 am

That was a fascinating video!

Rich Rubasch
Tilt Media Inc.
Video Production, Post, Studio Sound Stage
Founder/President/Editor/Designer/Animator
http://www.tiltmedia.com

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on Dec 18, 2015 at 3:09:25 am

Hmmm... maybe they used an Igus from servocity.... check out this vid:

Return to posts index

Robert Trip
on Jan 2, 2016 at 1:53:32 am

The 105 mm is a bit of a long lens. anytime you shoot a dolly you have to be aware of camera shake and the distance from the camera to the subject with focus. there are many types of dolly shots but it really depends on what your going for. DO you want a fixed focal length then all you need to do is make sure your camera starts at one focus and ends on another. for something simple try shooting on a normal lens first to get the idea then work with different lenses. Just practice. also their are plenty of youtube videos on the subject.

Return to posts index

Ken S.
on Jan 5, 2016 at 3:56:12 pm

I plan to use a Sigma 150mm macro on a 70D cropped sensor. The issue at hand is how to rig for a macro dolly shot? This is an orthodontics procedure, the patient will be laying down, doctor on one side, nurse on the other. I need a setup that will enable me to reach for a macro dolly shot. My current plans is to use a jib (Cartoni JIBO ) with a swivel/tilt lock for a fixed shot. I do have a Kessler second shooter that I plan to use the head on the jib for easier shot alignment.

I thought about mounting a kessler slider on two stands one at each side of the bed but the problem I can not get close enough without the stands being in the way of the doctor to get a macro shot. Any idea about how to achieve a dolly setup? Remember this is a small room (about 9x10 feet) with the bed fixed to the ground.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]