FORUMS: list search recent posts

Return of Process Photography??

COW Forums : Cinematography

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Joe Piazzo
Return of Process Photography??
on Sep 22, 2015 at 3:05:28 pm

I have been watching a lot of 1950's films lately - some of them with tons of rear projection process shots. Some good, a lot bad. Tracking and green screen has certainly eliminated the need for that today - or has it?

Just wondering what people might think - but with super bright 4K digital projection, digital image perspective control and such - I wonder, particularly in lower budget situations - if it may re-exploring?

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
Re: Return of Process Photography??
on Sep 22, 2015 at 3:34:54 pm

For live stage performance, certainly. Drama or music works well with this - saw a very nice staging of "Sunset Boulevard" (the musical) done like this. For videos or films, rear projection creates a "look" that is distinctive and somewhat artificial... which can either take you out of the story, or enhance it, if you're not trying specifically for realism. For a dreamy or surrealist flavor, it could work. It has a niche.

Return to posts index

Todd Terry
on Sep 22, 2015 at 4:58:32 pm

I certainly think it has its place...

A little while back we did the poor man's version using footage displayed in a plasma television screen outside a car window. We were doing some automotive stuff, and it was easier/faster/cheaper to do it that way than shoot practically on location at night...

http://fantasticplastic.com/portfolio/news032.html

I just bought a couple of video projectors for another project, so I might try some more of this in the future.

T2

fantasticplastic.com

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on Sep 23, 2015 at 1:59:50 pm

That example (the car window shot) is incredibly good! Did you find it necessary to use plasma vs. LED, or was it just a case of using what was on hand?

Return to posts index

Todd Terry
on Sep 23, 2015 at 2:38:43 pm

Thanks, Mark... I thought it was passable.

Purely a matter of what was convenient. Honestly, I called it a "plasma" monitor just by default, now that I think about it that might be an LED monitor. Or LCD. Or OLED. I'd have to go upstairs and look and I'm lazy. Now that I think about it I don't think it's a plasma because it's not that heavy. We just grabbed the one from our conference room because it's the only large screen in the building that's "loose" (not mounted on a wall or hung from a ceiling). Pure convenience.

Actually a bigger one would have worked better (I think that's a 42") because we had to put it up RIGHT outside the car in order for it to cover all of the window area on screen. So I produced several versions of the insert clip with different levels of blurriness so we could pick one that looked at least semi-realistic.

The fact that it is only a two-second shot also helps.

Giving away my cheapskate secrets here, that scene was lit using only a couple of three-buck LED puck lights from Harbor Freight.

T2

fantasticplastic.com

Return to posts index

Jason Jenkins
on Sep 24, 2015 at 11:20:01 pm

[Todd Terry] "Giving away my cheapskate secrets here, that scene was lit using only a couple of three-buck LED puck lights from Harbor Freight."

Of course, that cheap trick only works when you have a camera that can see in the dark.

Jason Jenkins
Flowmotion Media
Video production... with style!

Check out my Mormon.org profile.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]