Terminology?? (First Time Filmmaker)

COW Forums : Cinematography

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Nobe Gamo
Terminology?? (First Time Filmmaker)
on Sep 8, 2015 at 5:17:46 am

Hello!

I was watching the video below...

... and I was wondering whether there is a term used for that style of editing?

And whether anyone had any tips or tricks for achieving this effect?

Thank you and look forward to our discussion!

Nobe.

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
Re: Terminology?? (First Time Filmmaker)
on Sep 8, 2015 at 2:56:47 pm

Well, it could be described technically as a simple montage. A more serious/meaningful form of "montage" involves the shots you mix adding up to a different and/or greater level of meaning than they carried individually.

The dance in place while backgrounds change thing has been done before:

Return to posts index

Nobe Gamo
on Sep 13, 2015 at 9:31:28 am

I understand it is a montage but what term is used to describe the 'dancing with changing backgrounds' bit?

Return to posts index

Todd Terry
on Sep 13, 2015 at 6:13:48 pm

I don't think there is a term for that, other than "dancing with changing backgrounds." At least in my 30+ years in the biz, I've never heard of one.

If, by some rare chance, there is a name for that, it's going to be such an unknown and obscure term that when you use it you will have to follow it with "You know, dancing with changing backgrounds."

Kinda like the "Vertigo" shot, which is technically called a "trombone." 95% of the time if you mention a "trombone" shot you'll get a quizzical look, and then have to say "You know when you dolly in and zoom out at the same time, you know, a 'Vertigo' shot"... people are just not familiar with the term.

I think this is the same case... except I don't think there actually is a name for that.

T2

fantasticplastic.com

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on Sep 13, 2015 at 6:30:14 pm

Todd, your "trombone", we call the "Hitchcock zoom". Spielberg loved to employ it.

If I had to come up for a name for the dancing shot, it might be: "center-tracked figure over montaged background", or "Center-pinned subject with montage background".

Return to posts index

Nobe Gamo
on Sep 14, 2015 at 6:10:25 am

Any tips for achieving this effect as a beginner?

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on Sep 14, 2015 at 12:54:20 pm

Use the same camera for the whole project. Bring an external monitor you can draw on with a sharpie or whiteboard marker (or put masking tape on it) to create a "box" the dancer has to fit into. Bring along a measuring tape, and keep the lens-to-subject distance the same in each shot. In post, you will be able to adjust the positioning slightly if you shoot a little bit wider than your final shot, then zoom in a little in post.

Return to posts index

Nobe Gamo
on Sep 15, 2015 at 6:44:29 pm

Amazing! Thank you!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]