FORUMS: list search recent posts

Feedback on my first few pieces of cinematography?

COW Forums : Cinematography

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Rhys Warren
Feedback on my first few pieces of cinematography?
on Jun 23, 2015 at 7:50:18 pm

Hey everyone,

I've been getting into cinematography and would love for you to check out some of my work so far this year!
Hope you like it and i love some feedback from you all.
I am 18 years old and this here is my college final project.
You may think this showreel seems rather short and some sections included are long. Throughout my course i hadn't done anything much to do with film so i decided to go out and shoot various shots which all got included within this showreel. It was also used as a portfolio for uni. This is the first time i've done cinematography for anything.

I used:
- Nikon D5300
- Flycam HD-3000
- Nikkor 35mm 1.8G

Reel: https://vimeo.com/131084101
Email: rhyswarrenfl@gmail.com

Return to posts index

Todd Terry
Re: Feedback on my first few pieces of cinematography?
on Jun 23, 2015 at 8:23:09 pm

I was fully prepared to cringe when I read " This is the first time i've done cinematography for anything"... but I took a chance and watched anyway.

Surprisingly really REALLY good work. Quite nice, I wouldn't have pegged you for a total beginner, some shots with really nice composition there.

I definitely look forward to seeing what you can do on down the road.

If you are looking for any criticism, I'll give you one obvious one... I wouldn't end a showreel with a suicide. Or even include one. You have much better stuff for an ending scene anyway. I know you like the way it looks and syncs with the music hit for a finale, but while it doesn't bother me at all I can envision lots of people who would find it offputting or inappropriate.

Good work. Oh, good logo design, too.

T2

fantasticplastic.com

Return to posts index

Rhys Warren
on Jun 23, 2015 at 10:30:12 pm

Thank-you so much for your reply and taking the time to watch it.
I have taken in what you have said about the ending shot and totally understand what you are saying, last thing i want is to put people off, especially when just starting out.

Im heading to university this year but another thing i would love to gain is experience. Ive tried contacting many people through email and hardly get replies. Do you have any tips on building up contacts within the industry? Im from the UK so im not sure how much harder or different it would be to do so.

Once again many thanks!

Return to posts index

Rick Wise
on Jun 23, 2015 at 11:41:06 pm

I second everything Todd said. You have a very good eye. For demo reels (and movies in general) it's usually best to never repeat any shots. There are rare and stylistic exceptions.

As for finding gigs, I have no idea of how that works in the UK. Here it's a tough slog until you get the first one. Little by little you build a reputation as someone who does good work and is good to have around on the set. If there's some sort of directory of production houses, directors, DPs etc., get it and start phoning. Expect gigantic rejections. But when you stumble upon someone who at that very moment needs some help you get your entry.

The most important part of getting work is your own attitude. You've got to be ready to do just about anything (legal) anyone asks you to do, and with a smile. Be careful about asking too many questions: then you become a pest instead of a help.

As we say here, "break a leg." (An old theater expression.)

Rick Wise
Cinematographer
MFA/BFA Lighting and Camera Instructor Academy of Art University
San Francisco Bay Area
http://www.RickWiseDP.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]