How to make a moving in circles shot

COW Forums : Cinematography

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ivilina Gavazova
How to make a moving in circles shot
on May 20, 2015 at 9:09:16 am

Hello. Is there anyone who knows how to make this type of shot -

?

Is the bike in a special moving platform or it is some special shooting tecnique? Or it is made my pictures?

I couldn't find my question in the forum, I am sorry if there is already topic.

Thank You.

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
Re: How to make a moving in circles shot
on May 20, 2015 at 1:58:20 pm

You can put the object on a turntable and leave the camera fixed in position, or you can leave the object fixed and move the camera around it on a dolly track. The look winds up the same, from the eye's perspective. There is a lot of speed ramping happening on this example, that's done in post. The turntable can be digitally painted out using a keyer or rotoscoping.

Also, if the object can be modeled in 3-d CGI, you can do all these same effects virtually in a 3-d animation program.

Return to posts index

Todd Terry
on May 20, 2015 at 3:00:57 pm

As Mark said, two ways of doing it... rotate the bike, or dolly the camera around it.

But which way was this done? Hmmmmm.... we'll never know. Nah, actually we do know... in this case the bike rotated. How do we know that? Well Mark said "The look winds up the same"... which is the one tiny issue that I'll differ with Mark on. The look is not exactly the same, and it's that difference that lets us know the bike was rotating.

How can you tell? If the bike rotates, the lighting stays fixed in relative position to the camera. If the camera dollys around, the lighting stays fixed in relative position to the bike. In this case, the lighting was fixed to the camera position, ergo we can assume that the bike rotated. Yes, the camera could have been rotating around the bike, but, but that would mean the lighting would have been rigged to rotate around the bike as well, and it would be fairly inconceivable that someone would go to the trouble for such a cumbersome arrangement.

This could have been either motion footage, or a series of stills. I don't know this for a fact, but I strongly suspect this was shot as individual still frames with a DSLR. It just has that look to me. If that was the case a shot was taken, the bike was rotated a small measured amount, and another was taken, and so on....

T2

fantasticplastic.com

Return to posts index

Blaise Douros
on May 20, 2015 at 4:40:55 pm

This was done on a turntable. If you watch where the specular highlights fall on the edges of the bike's tubes, the lights stay put while the bike rotates.

My company actually owns a motorized turntable that I can shoot this stuff on, but you could build a DIY, handcranked rig super easily. A bicycle drivetrain would actually give you a lot of flexibility, since you could control your rotation speed by changing gears!

While it is possible to do it as a series of stills, I frankly like to just take video and do speed ramps in post. A slow enough rotation, plus shooting at 60 fps, can give you a butter-slow low speed and allow you to do speed ramps up as fast as you want.

From a practical standpoint, the best thing to use for the turntable floor is a slightly diffused piece of plexiglass that matches your background color--e.g. a frosted white for a white background, black for a black background. It will reflect the color of the background and get you pretty close to a seamless background look.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]