FORUMS: list search recent posts

Seeking video recorder advice

COW Forums : Cinematography

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Todd Terry
Seeking video recorder advice
on May 12, 2015 at 5:37:36 pm

I'm woefully ignorant of any/all of the current video recorders, as I have never had to use one... ever. So I would welcome some advice...

Here's the situation...

The Canon C300 is my primary camera, I pretty much use it exclusively for everything... and it of course records to CF cards.

However, I have an ongoing job coming up that is much more suited to run-n-gun ENG-style shooting, rather than the more cinema-style setup of my C300 rig... so I would like to break out my previously-used Canon XHL1 for that (which is still a great camera).

However I do not want to capture tape... so I'd like to record to an external recorder.

There is an output issue though... the H1 does NOT have HDMI out... it just has DV (Firewire) out, and HD-SDI out. To complicate things even more, in the first generation of the H1, the HD-SDI output did not include embedded audio (I don't know why Canon did that, in later versions of the H1 the audio was embedded). So if I went the HD-SDI route I would need a recorder that also has separate audio inputs.

Does such a thing even exist? Or are Firewire recorders still around?

I could use my C300 for this job, but it's definitely a cine setup... not that great for handheld work, and I use PL-mount primes (and sometimes one manual zoom) with it. The H1 would give me much better ergonomics for handheld, a servo video zoom lens, and even though I usually preach to people about shooting manual-only, in this case many of the auto features (exposure, focus) of the H1 would be super helpful.

Anyone have any ideas?

So much thanks.....

T2

fantasticplastic.com

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
Re: Seeking video recorder advice
on May 12, 2015 at 7:21:16 pm

AJA KiPro series has separate audio capability - we're pretty happy with ours.

Return to posts index

Roger Martin
Re: Seeking video recorder advice
on Jun 3, 2015 at 6:33:59 am

My Convergent Design 7Q+ has HDMI, SDI, and separate Audio inputs

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]