FORUMS: list search recent posts

On set realtime mixing 2 video signals (from cam+pc): searching solution

COW Forums : Cinematography

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Andrew Sharapko
On set realtime mixing 2 video signals (from cam+pc): searching solution
on Apr 1, 2015 at 11:41:23 pm

Hello! Please help to find solution for my purpose:

I have many BG shots on my pc\mac, and i need to shoot FG elements on greenscreen for each shot using RED camera.
I searching for software\hardware that can place realtime FG video from RED camera over my BG shots and keyed it or make a 50% opacity.
Very important, that BG must be played in realtime too!

The most convenient solution for me: when signal from RED going into my pc\mac and i mixing BG and FG inside some software.
Or maybe signal from pc\mac going to another hardware, mixing with RED signal, and output from another monitor.

Not convenient, when i need play my BG from another hardware devices, because i really need "walking" into frames very quickly, like an in montage programs.

Anyway, i would be very grateful for your advice and recommendations!

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
Re: On set realtime mixing 2 video signals (from cam+pc): searching solution
on Apr 2, 2015 at 6:40:00 pm

Adobe On Location (don't know what they call it now) was able to do live composites on the set of a production, but I don't know if it still is available. The typical approach to this would be to use a cart with a switcher to handle the green screen in real time and a deck of some type to feed the motion background. Switchers with this kind of capability would include the Blackmagic Designs Atem, or a Newtek Video Toaster or Tricaster. The toaster/ tricaster has dedicated setups for playing back recorded BG in realtime with live camera inputs on green. They come in various levels of ability and price.

Return to posts index

Andrew Sharapko
on Apr 3, 2015 at 10:52:59 am

Thanks! But i hope, that i can find solution using only software.

Adobe On Location works only with HDV cams and now this app called Adobe Prelude, but inside Prelude i don`t find mixing 2 live signals feature.

Still searching.

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on Apr 3, 2015 at 4:19:40 pm

Good luck on the search. I think you'll have trouble finding an all-software answer to this, because really you're asking for a virtual switcher, executed all in software.

Like I said, the Tricaster or Toaster was built to be able to do that, with internal virtual disk recorders for playing back stored footage over a live greenscreen key with other effects too.

You're going to have to add hardware to your existing computer to handle the incoming RED cam's footage, and then the live composting software, wherever you find that... plus an appropriate output card or breakout box... and by the time you're done, what you have is a DIY built version of... the Tricaster. One that may not be any cheaper, and it will have less functionality.

Still, if you find an all-software virtual switcher than can composite a stored motion background with a live incoming RED input, at full rez, without needing a lot of external hardware, please do come back and let us know in this thread, because that's kind of been a "holy grail" for affordable location production.

You might ask the experts in the COW's Live/Stage forum if something like Wings, Stumpfl,or Ableton can do for you all in software, what you're asking for.

Best of luck on your quest.

Return to posts index

Andrew Sharapko
on Apr 22, 2015 at 11:03:31 am

We found a solution but only hardware (Blackmagic ATEM mixers), because many software solutions give us a very big delay (>1 sec)

Return to posts index

Adrien Oneiga
on Apr 9, 2015 at 5:01:08 am

If you're taking a 1080p SDI or HDMI Feed form the RED camera, you should be able to use a VJ application like VDMX or Resolume, to play back a video clip, and add another clip in real time with Green Screen effect. You could also use wirecast, but an application like VDMX will give you much more control, and if you conform your footage to HAP format it will stream off of your SSD.

But you have to realize that there is almost no way of having a 'frame accurate' conversion working software only, so as long as you are ok with that i'd say its your best bet.

Media Architect - Skyway Design Studios

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]