FORUMS: list search recent posts

A mini camera crane and sample shots

COW Forums : Cinematography

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Samuel Tranchet
A mini camera crane and sample shots
on Mar 13, 2015 at 1:39:57 pm

Hi every body,

I've just built a mini camera crane (or let's say a DSLR crane). This is rather a do it yourself project at the moment, but the result is very precise and reliable.

I made a little video to validate the operation and to show results :

Feel free to give me some feedback or advice, I will add some information about the project if I see that somebody could be interested in it.

Thanks for watching

Return to posts index

Todd Terry
Re: A mini camera crane and sample shots
on Mar 13, 2015 at 4:51:21 pm

Good work, looks like a decent build. Probably a fair bit better than the first crane I ever built (but I was young and dumb and that was 20+ years ago).

One question I'd have, does it still work (and balance) ok if you tilt the tripod head (which would subsequently tilt the camera sled)? If so, that would give you nice tilt control of the camera... which would be especially useful, since I personally probably rarely do crane moves with the camera absolutely perfectly horizontal. Could also put a small head on the camera end to give you a lot more freedom... for a camera as small as a DSLR I think the rig could handle the weight of a smallish head... it looks to be built robust enough.

Good work...

T2

fantasticplastic.com

Return to posts index

Samuel Tranchet
Re: A mini camera crane and sample shots
on Mar 14, 2015 at 8:00:06 pm

Thank you Todd,

It's possible to unlock the head to tilt the vertical harms and so, the camera. With a quite strong tripod with counterweights it's OK, but as the main axis of the crane is above the tilt axis of the tripod head, this might quickly result in a heavy weight on the front or rear. I think mounting a small head on the crane could be a nice improvement, it's definitely robust enough.

Thanks again for your feedback.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]