FORUMS: list search recent posts

Order of lens filter. Black Pro Mist 1/4 and ND filter

COW Forums : Cinematography

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Adrian Smith
Order of lens filter. Black Pro Mist 1/4 and ND filter
on Feb 12, 2015 at 6:42:31 pm
Last Edited By Adrian Smith on Feb 12, 2015 at 6:56:38 pm

My son asked me this question last night - he's taking a film/video course at school. I wasn't sure that it made any difference which order you placed the filters over the lens - Black Pro Mist and ND filter. My advice was to trust your eye and see which looked best under the circumstances that you would need to apply two filters.

Is there any conventional wisdom to this?

Thanks.

Return to posts index

Todd Terry
Re: Order of lens filter. Black Pro Mist 1/4 and ND filter
on Feb 12, 2015 at 6:56:25 pm

I'd be interested in hearing what other people say, but as far as I'm concerned you gave the right advice... "whichever way looks best."

Obviously you can do it either way, I would suspect that depending on your light environments you would get a bit more diffusion if the Pro Mist filter was on the front rather than on the camera side (likely more noticeable if there is strong backlighting). In that case if you want more diffusion, put it in front... if you want less, put it in the back.

I suspect there are some folks out there who will take a hard-core stand that the filter should always be in one particular position, but in my opinion this is a case of "if it looks right, do it."

If you can't tell any difference at all, then I'd put the ND filter in front... for the simple reason of economics. A Pro Mist filter is more expensive than an ND filter. If one were to get damaged, it would likely be the front one and I'd rather the cheap filter take a hit.

T2

fantasticplastic.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]