FORUMS: list search recent posts

How much should I chrge to teach a quick cinematography class?

COW Forums : Cinematography

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Struan Wallace
How much should I chrge to teach a quick cinematography class?
on Feb 6, 2015 at 4:21:29 am

Hi guys,

I need some advice on rates. I'm a Cinematographer currently living in the Philippines. Recently, I got asked by a production house in New York to fly over (paid by them) and teach their film crew different cinematography techniques and tricks.

My question is, how much should I charge for something like this and how long do you reckon it would take? A few days, weeks, etc.

This is something I've never done before. I'm still unsure if I'll be any good at teaching/lecturing.

Thank you in advance for any help you guys can give.

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
Re: How much should I chrge to teach a quick cinematography class?
on Feb 6, 2015 at 4:37:37 pm

Charge your regular hourly or day rate as a shooter/DP.

How long depends on the level of knowledge the class has, coming in. if they are raw beginners and need to learn *everything*, several days to a week is not unusual.

If instead, you're teaching a clinic on onlyone or two particular things, say, wildlife timelapse, Bridal shooting, or underwater reef shooting, there should be a certain level of assumed background they know already, and can build on for the more specific case of the clinic. Then you're talking a day to 2 days.

Also, it depends on class size: larger takes longer, to give enough one-on-one instruction and Q and A time, as well as working with the group. You want to build in "lab time" for everybody to try out what you're showing them, and get it reviewed.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]