FORUMS: list search recent posts

Direction of slider shot movement when editing professional videos

COW Forums : Cinematography

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jason Cuervo
Direction of slider shot movement when editing professional videos
on Jan 10, 2015 at 2:19:48 am

Hello! I recently got into a debate with a group of colleague's about whether it was more cinematic to edit your slider shots in opposing directions or continuously in the same direction. Obviously you wouldn't want to have 10 slider shots going in the same direction... that's boring. But if you have 4 slider shots in sequence, what do you think is the most cinematic way to edit them "direction"-wise. I realize it depends on the subject/location in the shot and that there are a lot of directions for a slider shot to go... forward, backward, left, right, diagonal, parallax, but lets assume you have two slider shots going to the left and two going to the right. Each shot is a different location. You can reverse the shots if necessary. How would you edit them in sequence and why?

I want to apologize beforehand if this is the wrong subsection of the forum, this is my first post and the cinematography section seemed the most appropriate. Thank you for any help!

Return to posts index

Rick Wise
Re: Direction of slider shot movement when editing professional videos
on Jan 10, 2015 at 3:02:41 am

As usual, there is absolutely no "rule" to answer your question. Everything depends on the story. There's a wonderful series of "slider" (actually dolly) shots in the movie, Road to Perdition, which tells in a montage fashion the story of the two major protagonists robbing banks. Every move is left to right. But one could easily fashion a different story where each dolly move was in the opposite direction.

Rick Wise
Cinematographer
MFA/BFA Lighting and Camera Instructor Academy of Art University
San Francisco Bay Area
http://www.RickWiseDP.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]